Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Item Transportation systems  (Read 608 times)

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Item Transportation systems
« on: April 14, 2010, 05:50:00 pm »

I'm working on a non-dumping system for mass item transportation, working with water pressure and canals.

so far its a system of badly placed aquifiers which fly water into another one and tosses the items off to the other side of a floor grate, if I could make those items move TWO squares instead of the ONE square, I'd be set for this system to work out in a complex awesome way.

But as is, nothing more than a log flow sadly.

Does anyone else have a water-based transportation system for dwarves or items?
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Item Transportation systems
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 06:07:32 pm »

I think you could make that work by putting a retracting bridge where the items end up.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 06:27:58 pm »

In a previous version I build a retracting bridge based conveyor system to throw objects from the death pit where invaders fell to their doom to a safe collection area within the fortress.  It worked, but it was incredibly slow and random.  Retracting bridges don't throw objects in a consistent direction (neither do drawbridges, for that matter, and they sometimes destroy objects) so you have to use an arrangement of staggered 3d sawtooth shaped hills to ensure that objects on average only fly in one direction.  I haven't come up with a simple way to do it .. but that was trying to carry a random assortment of objects 90 spaces.  In your case you could in theory have a 2 tile long retracting bridge controlled by a repeater, which would randomly throw objects around until they fell off in the direction you wanted them to.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 09:10:36 pm »

I havent managed to use bridges for throwing items, it always seems to just be instantly up, instantly down, or instantly open, instantly closed, with either no effect or just a smashed item.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.