Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Activated weapon traps  (Read 510 times)

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
Activated weapon traps
« on: April 18, 2010, 07:25:56 pm »

Like, if you had an army of goblins filing single-file into your fortress, wouldn't you want a mechanic to pull a giant metal corkscrew trap and utterly murderify the entire goblin army?
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Coidzure Dreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Activated weapon traps
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 07:32:12 pm »

So, you want a giant blender to be part of the entrance to your fortress and the ability to turn on the blender/kill-room remotely once the goblins are able to enter.  Or at least once they're trapped in it.

Hm.  I approve of the idea of a giant blender-room, but I think that'd be more of a mechanism-building/construction sort of thing.  A larger project than simply putting down a single trap or series of traps.

As right now there are weapon-traps that the goblins activate just by going over them unless they're thieves.

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Activated weapon traps
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 07:42:49 pm »

That's how upright spike traps work, innit?

Me, I think all traps should be like that- you should need a pressure plate and a trap mechanism somewhere else. Maybe not even on the square with the enemy?Either built into the wall, the floor beneath or the floor above, and told to face in one direction... you'd need a special "trap floor" to go above the floor traps, but it seems cool. On the one hand, traps would be harder to build- on the other, you could do cool things like have a whole row of crossbow traps you could fire at once, and cut down an army of goblins with the pull of a lever.
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.