Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Chemical Weapon Tests (yet more warcrimes)  (Read 8742 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Chemical Weapon Tests (yet more warcrimes)
« Reply #75 on: June 01, 2010, 12:31:36 pm »

No, it was already established to be false.  A poisonous metal or mineral does not apply syndromes to creatures holding it, struc with it, cut open with it, or that have it jammed and "stuck in" to their bodies. 

In order for a venom to take effect, it must be in the form of a contaminant.  Dust, goo, liquid, so forth.  The kind of thing that winds up as "contained" within another item as a kind of splatter.

So if you had an axe made out of poison steel, no matter how lethal or contagious the poison connected to that steel was, it wouldn't do anything.  However, if the steel melted and another weapon got some of the molten poison steel on it;
<<Copper Battleaxe>>
  (molten Poison Steel spatter)

Then it would poison enemies.  But any kind of stable material just won't cut it.  It needs to melt or boil.

It might also be possible that natural caveins can cause poison, due to the fact that they cause a significant amount of dust to kick up.  If that dust were a contact poison, it might be possible to get it to work.  However, I haven't tested this, so I can't say for sure.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 01, 2010, 12:37:37 pm »

so it could be applied as, say, a contact poison?

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #77 on: June 01, 2010, 12:44:21 pm »

You cannot currently forge or otherwise manufacture poisoned weapons except by indirect contamination with a syndrome-causing fluid.
Also known as Zuhayr.

Naes Draw

• Bay Watcher
  • She likes modding for their customizability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 01, 2010, 01:31:10 pm »

Wild Guess time!

What about, a material that is solid at room temp, but goo/gas/whatever at a chosen body temp? Arrows of that would remain solid until impact with a warmer body, right? They might only work for some foes (if they work) but it's a thought.

That might also allow for other projectile types?
[CREATURE:CAT]
   [NAME:sena cat:sena cat:sena cat]
   [INTELLIGENT] [MISCHIEVOUS] [FEMALE]
   [PREFSTRING:craziness]
   [SHOES:ITEM_SHOES_SHOES:UNCOMMON]
   [PERMITTED_JOB:MODDER]

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #79 on: June 01, 2010, 02:00:10 pm »

That's not a bad idea, though it assumes that body heat is transferrable.  Perhaps increase the heat of blood so that the items will melt when contaminated with it?
Also known as Zuhayr.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 01, 2010, 02:18:47 pm »

Rather, doesn't there need to be a Homeotherm tag for the game to even simulate a body temperature? As in, without that tag the game just assumes creatures are at the same temperature as their surroundings, short of a source of heat directly applied to them? I'm aware that wrestling something that is innately hot (spirit of fire) means temperature transfer so it's a promising hypothesis.

I do recall reading of a dragon who heated itself up with its dragonbreath and had such a high heat capacity that it didn't cool down quickly - resulted in its blood being scalding hot when it got killed, eventually melting the fat off everyone's 'contaminated' feet.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 01, 2010, 02:22:16 pm »

The idea has been brought up before a couple times, but to my knowledge no one's properly tested it yet.  Worth a shot.

The only downside to this is that your targets would be severely limited.  You'd either be targeting high-heat creatures like fire men and magma men, or you'd run the risk of the metal becoming useless in moderately warm climates.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 01, 2010, 03:19:58 pm »

well, you could set the melting temperature to be, say 140 degreees F. , and then make all creatures affected 141. I don't think even scorching climates get that hot

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #83 on: June 01, 2010, 03:56:59 pm »

The idea has been brought up before a couple times, but to my knowledge no one's properly tested it yet.  Worth a shot.

The only downside to this is that your targets would be severely limited.  You'd either be targeting high-heat creatures like fire men and magma men, or you'd run the risk of the metal becoming useless in moderately warm climates.

Or you mod body heat to be higher.
Also known as Zuhayr.

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 01, 2010, 04:35:26 pm »

so all you have to do is set the melting point of posionious steel to a low temp and cook it in maga or something than drop steel weapons on it...do you think you can manage that in your raws Eagle_eye?
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 01, 2010, 04:36:25 pm »

so all you have to do is set the melting point of posionious steel to a low temp and cook it in maga or something than drop steel weapons on it...do you think you can manage that in your raws Eagle_eye?

err dump ie garbage zone
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 05, 2010, 11:02:29 am »

I saw a thread somewhere a while back where they nailed down the temperature for an underground floor with magma one level below. Does anyone remember where it is, or what the number was?
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #87 on: June 05, 2010, 11:48:49 am »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=56313.msg1217455#msg1217455

10100 Urists is the temperature for DF 31.01 to 31.03, .04 and .05 according to toady have less temperature to avoid melting fat and friends. However I didn't probe it with DFhack yet. Peterix is the guy you need to ask if the dfprobe tool has been updated to the latest versions.

It allowed for some fun uses, and with smart catapulting from the Z-level above one could bombard a hall with the venom. Pity that the fume clouds don't go very far (you need a LOT of rocks), unless someone figured out better vaporized venom parameters so the disease gets transmitted faster.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 05, 2010, 01:16:24 pm »

You could just have something that melts, rather than boils.  Then you should end up with a pool of the toxic substance being left behind that enemy troops will walk over and track around.  It'll sit around longer and will spread to more creatures, but you'll need to clean the area before you can send dwarves in (unless they're immune, of course).

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #89 on: June 05, 2010, 01:18:47 pm »

You could just have something that melts, rather than boils.  Then you should end up with a pool of the toxic substance being left behind that enemy troops will walk over and track around.  It'll sit around longer and will spread to more creatures, but you'll need to clean the area before you can send dwarves in (unless they're immune, of course).

Actually a good washing system could remove it. It'd be an obnoxiously complicated trap, and I like the idea :P
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]