Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need advice for reclaiming a fortress  (Read 744 times)

Starkiller2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Need advice for reclaiming a fortress
« on: September 18, 2012, 11:00:12 am »

I had a really awesome fortress until a One eyed monkey titan that shot webs attacked my fortress and killed all 150 of my dwarves by kicking them in the head. The titan is extremely bruised in about every part of his body. I tried reclaiming it once but it killed everybody in about five minutes. Is there any chance i can take it back? And how should i try?

Eldestish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Need advice for reclaiming a fortress
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 11:04:35 am »

Figure out adventure mode and go in with lots of allies.....Or try to trap it inside yer fort until you can flood it.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 11:31:13 am »

Hmmm...  Webber... Yeah you'll have to kill it in adventure mode, or build some sort of cave in in fortress mode.

Starkiller2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 11:59:33 am »

Hmmm...  Webber... Yeah you'll have to kill it in adventure mode, or build some sort of cave in in fortress mode.

Ok... but how do i find my fortress in adventure mode? do i just have to ask around or is there some way to find it?

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 05:05:23 pm »

If you get to a town nearby, the civilians there will give you hints about where to find it. You can also find it on your own, just pay attention to where it is on the map and try to start in a civilization that is nearby.

This is what I've done to visit my past forts, usually helps to be on a smaller map, so you don't have nearly as far to trek through wilderness.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 05:28:36 pm »

Try a reclaim party made exclusively of markswarves and good equipment.

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 05:41:35 pm »

You might be able to start a reclaim on the same map, but just don't go into your old fortress until you're prepared with a strong military. Seal off the old fortress and start over, focus almost all your efforts on getting steel and train up as many elite marksdwarfs as possible. When you're ready, unseal the old fort and launch your invasion.
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 09:09:05 pm »

To find your fort in adventure mode, start a fort mode reclaim, remember where on the world map the reclaim is found, and then abort, make an adventurer in a civilization nearby and deal with the titan.

However, I think there is a better option: the titian will not always be in the same spot when you embark, sometimes he will be out of sight. If you get such an embark instantly dig in and seal yourself in. Now you have 7 dwarves surviving alone, and a surface defended by a powerful titan. You can have all kinds of fun, plotting clever operations to break into your own fort to get an anvil or another crucial item. You will learn loads about mechinisms and cave-ins (you will need to). Finally you will get to watch your conqueror god dismantle band after band of goblins and merchants.

I wish I'd met a strong titan before, when I lose to megabeasts it is because of necrotic paralyzing dustclouds.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok Cultist - Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 09:12:24 pm »

The same way I did it in Markedangels. Just keep throwing Dwarves at it, and eventually, one will get webbed right next to it, and bite its face.
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.