Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Attributes decay over time?  (Read 1405 times)

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
Attributes decay over time?
« on: April 15, 2010, 11:05:46 pm »

My dwarves are losing their good attributes and gaining bad ones.

One dwarf used to be Mighty and Agile. Now hes Flimsy, Clumsy, and Weak. Huh?

Another dwarf went from Strong and average everything else to just Flimsy (no more strong).

It's certainly not lack of use - the second one is my main miner, and has dug out thousands of tiles of stone pretty much nonstop since embark.

The only thing I can think that might be causing the decay is many of them going to "starving" before they finally decide to go eat.

Anyone else experiencing this? It seems like my entire fort is full of flimsy, clumsy, and weak dwarves - when before many of them had really good stats.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
Re: Attributes decay over time?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 01:11:10 am »

Maybe they're getting too old for this.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 01:14:08 am »

That's true, it keeps track of age more closely now. I'm not actually sure what the age range for dwarves are, except that my starting 7 started out at around 80 (which I'll assume is middle age)
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.

opsneakie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 03:32:46 am »

It is roughly middle age.

I think the stat degredation has to do with what labors the dwarves are using on a regular basis. For example, a bookeeper won't level up in strength, but he might get a better memory or whatever.
Collosal bronze man
With titanic strides he comes
Dwarves he will harvest

DF Twitter

Snall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 03:41:36 am »

Hamster all mine have started around mid 50's so far.. :-(

EDIT - he also just said one of them was a miner and got weaker..weird, prob something to do with health system problems.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 03:43:46 am by Snall »

Coidzure Dreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 04:26:06 am »

They breathing in any contaminants, perhaps?

Then again, maybe there was a bit about radiation sneaked in there...  Though they'd be wasting away into nothingness as their beards fall out in that case.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 02:26:22 pm »

The weird thing is it hasn't even been that long. The dwarves in question were 56 and 57s and it has only been 5 years since embark (they are now 61 and 62).

Even the children get progressively wimpier as they get older. Some of the babies started out as agile and mighty and incredibly tough. I can load the save back when they were born and they have those attributes. Loading the more recent save with them being 3 and 4 years old suddenly they are losing their good attributes and gaining bad ones, like the agile and incredibly tough one is now very weak and extremely quick to tire. Another that was average (no modifying traits) has become clumsy, very quick to tire, and unquestionably weak.

Skills seem to be rusting a bit quickly too. My doctor, who has treated quite a few wounds over the years from goblin attacks, is getting worse and worse instead of learning more. He began as adequate wound dresser, novice diagnostician, adequate surgeon, competent bone doctor, and adequate suturer. Now hes novice, dabbling, novice, adequate, novice. He has treated my 5 military dwarves at least 30 times over the years with a few of them getting minor wounds at every goblin ambush (usually minor, a quick clean/suture/dressing and they're up and about again), yet hes still losing his skills? What do I need to do to train a doctor, build a trap for my own dwarves to drop them a few z-levels every week and have a squad of dedicated test dummies for doctor training?
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 02:34:55 pm »

I've bug reported this.  I've noticed a -.14 attribute point per dwarf per month change in attributes for non-military dwarves.  That's just crazy.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 04:36:24 pm »

I'm not actually sure what the age range for dwarves are, except that my starting 7 started out at around 80 (which I'll assume is middle age)
150-170 years is the life expectancy of dwarves not in your fortress. So they're about middle-aged, yes.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.