Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Off-center gates  (Read 460 times)

Visible

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Off-center gates
« on: November 25, 2006, 12:14:00 pm »

Hitting "g" re-centers the screen on the center of your cliff face. It would be nice if you could re-set this, in game, to a different location on the map. Right now, I'm building all my fortresses as close to northern and southern limits of the map as possible. Being able to change my "gate" location would be a boon.   :)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Off-center gates
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2006, 05:57:00 pm »

I think someone posted a "security cam" type idea earlier, where you can pop between several locations with [g].  That would be cool.

The dwarves should also mill more sensibly, when they are milling outside and the actual openings are off-center.

[ November 26, 2006: Message edited by: Toady One ]

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Pod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 02:01:00 pm »

Why not nick an idea from other games, which is to use some f-keys (or shift_fkey and so on) to set/recall viewing areas.

Are the f-keys even used in game right now?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 02:06:00 pm »

I use F11 to toggle the screen size.  I think F10 causes an invisible system menu to pop up, and I haven't tried to look up how to shut that off yet.  Hopefully other F keys aren't linked to things, but yeah, F keys could be linked to things like the security cam.  Perhaps there are other things the F keys could be used for?  We could have some interchangeable options that are easier to select that changing all the key bindings manually.

Maximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 03:22:00 am »

Another possibility is to assign locations to the number keys.  But maybe they'll have some better purpose later on.

Incidentally, F10 is essentially the same as Alt in Windows apps: it switches focus to the menu bar.

Bask

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 05:30:00 pm »

Number hotkeys is someting I have wanted for a long time. Just place a marker (maybe with d) on a creature or place/building and on pressing a number zoom to it. Easy to find squad leaders, important crafters, wounded.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 11:24:00 pm »

Of course, for the number keys, I'd have to worry about all the numlock crap I'm currently avoiding by folding them and the numpad together...  I hate the keyboard.