Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarven Monastery  (Read 3235 times)

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Monestary
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2010, 01:47:45 am »

Hi!

It sounds interesting. However, as someone very much interested in surface structures, allow me to warn you about something:

Blood and cleaning are currently highly problematic. Especially with aboveground housing, it is currently impossible to get rid of the blood and it will accumulate in pools and cause people to constantly go "clean self" at a water source of their choice.

I had a surface dormitory, and it sure weakened the efficiency of my fortress.

So, before starting this project, I advice you to check whether cleaning and blood have been resolved already. Otherwise, you might be in for a really nasty surprise.

An alternative would actually be the following:
As far as I understand, there can be several cavern layers on your map. How about conquering the uppermost completely and use the second as you proposed originally. In the first cavern layer, expand the open space and build structures made of blocks there for an underground city. Cleaning works underground, so with a few idle dwarves, you should be just fine.

Deathworks

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2010, 01:54:21 am »

Hi!

It sounds interesting. However, as someone very much interested in surface structures, allow me to warn you about something:

Blood and cleaning are currently highly problematic. Especially with aboveground housing, it is currently impossible to get rid of the blood and it will accumulate in pools and cause people to constantly go "clean self" at a water source of their choice.

I had a surface dormitory, and it sure weakened the efficiency of my fortress.

So, before starting this project, I advice you to check whether cleaning and blood have been resolved already. Otherwise, you might be in for a really nasty surprise.

An alternative would actually be the following:
As far as I understand, there can be several cavern layers on your map. How about conquering the uppermost completely and use the second as you proposed originally. In the first cavern layer, expand the open space and build structures made of blocks there for an underground city. Cleaning works underground, so with a few idle dwarves, you should be just fine.

Deathworks

Huh... I suppose that would make it more dwarven, too. I'd have one fewer cavern layers for tests (The plan was that dwarves would have to venture to more dangerous areas as they progressed,) but I suppose the first ones could just work down there... or even take a tour on the surface, if it's a dangerous map.

Will probably be moot, as I can't play till the OSX version comes out, and hopefully it'll be fixed by then. Thanks, though.
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Coidzure Dreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Monastery
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2010, 02:02:47 am »

Another option might be to turn the caves up like they do for kobold camp if they want to reach the underground caverns without violating the essential law of not penetrating stone.

So that the monastery would be built up in the introductory level of the cave satisfying both sort of things.  Or just allowing a more.... organic entrance into the proving grounds and requiring them to make it to the monastery's below ground entrance in order to be admitted in the first place.

Hmm...Actually, considering the nature of dwarves, monestary is probably appropriate given that they're still greedy bastards even as ascetics.

mrpoopyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2010, 05:39:26 am »

-Every dwarf trains in wrestling, no weapons or armor

You might want to keep in mind that the new version's overhauled combat system makes wrestling much less effective. An opponent will only die if the brain is destroyed or he bleeds out, which puts a great emphasis on slashing weapons. A wrestler can spend entire seasons grappling with a goblin and breaking all of his bones, but he won't actually die until an axedwarf comes and lops off a few limbs.

A good middle ground might be to restrict your military to spears. Piercing damage can kill, but you still have to get lucky and hit a vital organ. Poking an enemy in the arm will not stop his advance at all.

If you're married to the wrestler idea, maybe have a full force of wrestlers to go out and hold down the incoming forces, and then one or two special high-ranking monks will be issued axes so they can flit from wrestling match to wrestling match, ending each one as they see fit.

Also, armor is important. Plainclothes dwarves die very very easily in this version. Some form of armor, even weak leather armor, will at least give them a chance to fight. I would suggest allowing leather armor, or if that's not monk enough, maybe keep them in cloth robes but allow metal gauntlets or something.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2010, 05:43:24 am »

Sounds like a cook idea for a fortress!
If you want items to stay around after the temple has been deserted, my advice is to put things in platinum bins, apart from that good luck!

Hertzyscowicz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2010, 06:14:22 am »

Kind of a tall order for a first fort you ever build. I think a better goal for your first few forts should be "not entirely flooded before abandoning"  ;)

Best of luck, though.

First fort in 2010, and I picked it cause it'll be a good introduction to caverns and the military, which look like the things I'll have to adapt to the most. I've played 40D plenty, including a few tricky maps (Made a bi-valved magma/water chamber so I could farm on a full glacier once. I love to brag.)

Oh, that's what you meant. I'm pretty sure that I'm now obliged to one-up on you.

If you want to keep with the oriental monastic theme for finishing off the enemies, why not go for juggling dwarves between spears, bows and bare hands? So when a dwarf gains a level in wrestler, make them use a spear, when they gain a level in speardwarf, make them use a bow, and when they gain a level as a bowdwarf, make them go to wrestling. It would certainly make for a challenge. Now if only you could make a dwarf carry more than one type of weapon...

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2010, 11:19:58 am »

If you want to keep with the oriental monastic theme for finishing off the enemies, why not go for juggling dwarves between spears, bows and bare hands? So when a dwarf gains a level in wrestler, make them use a spear, when they gain a level in speardwarf, make them use a bow, and when they gain a level as a bowdwarf, make them go to wrestling. It would certainly make for a challenge. Now if only you could make a dwarf carry more than one type of weapon...

It would be cool to include weapons, but I'd want them to be masterwork-quality and steel, which would take some work to make... I suppose having one legendary weaponsmith would be in keeping, though.

Actually, some of the weapons I'd like them to train with aren't available for dwarves to make... anyone know a reliable way to get somewhat standardized bows (non-crossbow), blowguns, quarterstaffs or other non-dwarvenly weapons?
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2010, 11:30:37 am »

You do not want your weapons to be steel.  Bronze is better in the new version.

Steel might be okay for, say, swords.  But for anything where the head weight matters, bronze is better.  (Bronze is also deformed less due to impact than steel in game, strangely enough, but i don't know if that effects weapon performance).

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Meta Knight... 0_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2010, 11:53:43 am »

actually, no stain glass windows. those are for churches.
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2010, 12:23:54 pm »

You do not want your weapons to be steel.  Bronze is better in the new version.

Steel might be okay for, say, swords.  But for anything where the head weight matters, bronze is better.  (Bronze is also deformed less due to impact than steel in game, strangely enough, but i don't know if that effects weapon performance).

Well, this is less about efficacy and more about monk-ness, and steel is shinier.

Plus, I only heard bronze was better than iron...
Pages: 1 [2]