Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Add Order/Add to Embark List UI Tweak (better support fo  (Read 395 times)

Magus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Add Order/Add to Embark List UI Tweak (better support fo
« on: December 20, 2007, 01:17:00 pm »

I've reassigned most of the key bindings to support more vi-style (or nethack-style) cursor movement, both because I'm now more accustomed to that than num-keypad, and because I often play on a laptop which lacks an easy keypad.

Everything is great, except that there's no way for me to use the manager to order a bunch of wooden bins without temporarily changing my down key.  That screen interprets all letter keys as defining search terms, and "bin" cannot be disambiguated from "cabinet".

If there were an additional key to move focus from search term entry to item selection, this would handily solve my problem.  Given the current input paradigm on that screen, it could also be described as "Toggle Search Term Input" -- it stops that area from listening for input so the key can pass through to being interpreted as a movement key.  I'd want to bind it to <TAB>, but it might be best for the default to leave it unbound so users don't accidentally turn it on and get confused when typing no longer works.

Recap: I'd like a key which toggles input between the text entry area and the cursor-type selection area on any screen which provides both and assumes any [A-Za-z ] is text entry, allowing a way for such keys to be used for cursor movement on those screens.

(Aside: Thank you, Toady, for making the keybindings so configurable!  This is a huge benefit in my ability to enjoy the game.)

Also, is there any way to make the DISPLAY_STRING for a key be ']' in interface.txt?  Everything I've tried seems to confuse the parser for that file, as ']' is clearly used as a delimiter.  Can it be escaped, or the raw ASCII specified?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: Add Order/Add to Embark List UI Tweak (better support fo
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 02:00:00 pm »

You can use the in-game control configurer from the esc menu. Just be sure to save to file first or you lose any changes. I have a laptop to, and what I did was set "]" and "'" to be the main selection movers, and "[" and ";" as the secondary ones. You just have to set the movies key to "/" first to free up ";". Hope that helps.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Magus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Add Order/Add to Embark List UI Tweak (better support fo
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 02:48:00 pm »

That's quite similar to what I did (I use [] and {} for my secondary selector (move and page, respectively)).  However, I can't set ']' as the Display String for that character through the UI (just tried; it does nothing), nor by editing the file.

Since the main selection needs up, down, right, left, and page up/down; may occur at the same time as the secondary selection (bound to []{}); and is used in a number of places throughout the program, I have it set at the much more comfortable/intuitive (to me) hjkl<>, mirroring the hjklyubnHJKLYUBN<> I use for move view/cursor.  This interferes with the search feature, though, hence my FREQ.