Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The Touch of Armok: blood everywhere  (Read 4027 times)

Marconius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Touch of Armok: blood everywhere
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2010, 07:56:16 pm »

I got this bug too. A kobold thief was killed by my heroic military (mostly beaten to death with training swords, despite the fact they had perfectly good iron swords equipped too... guess they just like random cruelty) on the surface. He never made it into the fortress.

I have a water storage hall that gets its supply from an underground river/lake that is not connected to the surface in any way. There are a few wells in my dining hall (about 20 or so z-levels deep!) that get their water from this well.

And about a year after this one kobold's death, his blood suddenly started appearing around the wells! And it keeps spreading, covering the floor of my legendary dining hall with blood.

My dwarves must be used to it by now though, because they eat in the dining hall without issue...

Dwarves clean themselves off at wells. This means that all the crap they're covered in lands on the floor by the wells. This raises interesting possibilities for poisoned blood...

Hmmm... I don't suppose there is some way to stop them from doing that at certain wells? I have an area close to the surface that would be perfect for smearing blood around, but I'd rather not see my Dwarves scrubbing in the middle of the dining hall...

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2010, 08:22:29 pm »

I have found at through testing in arena that water does wash blood away so right now I am planning three 10z levels waterfalls to clean any dwarf who enters any of the 15 dining rooms in my fort.

So far I've found that water just seems to spread the blood more in Fortress Mode. I have a tunnel for refilling my well and wetting my farms, every time I open the floodgates, the blood spreads further across the fort. It seems to multiply when it gets wet.
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

RebelZhouYuWu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2010, 08:38:38 pm »

So far I've found that water just seems to spread the blood more in Fortress Mode. I have a tunnel for refilling my well and wetting my farms, every time I open the floodgates, the blood spreads further across the fort. It seems to multiply when it gets wet.

Even if it happens to do that, just having water coverings on a dwarf makes him temporarily immune to posioned blood, at least until the water coverings come off.

Adamantine Fist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2010, 09:26:38 pm »

Even if it happens to do that, just having water coverings on a dwarf makes him temporarily immune to posioned blood, at least until the water coverings come off.

That is amazing. Now we just need to move the military through water-locks (like an air-lock, but using water) before they fight anything with poisoned blood.
and D) involve Clippy, the helpful paperclip, to tell you what to do.
It looks like you are trying to commit elven genocide! What would you like to do?

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2010, 09:46:51 pm »

The part that freaks me out the most about this occurrence is that sometimes, it takes years for the problem to manifest itself...  Years after your beloved Bookkeeper is ripped to shreds, suddenly someone's tracking his blood...  everywhere...
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

lordkrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2010, 09:48:12 pm »

The part that freaks me out the most about this occurrence is that sometimes, it takes years for the problem to manifest itself...  Years after your beloved Bookkeeper is ripped to shreds, suddenly someone's tracking his blood...  everywhere...

That's... horrifying.

Truly the stuff nightmares are made of.

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2010, 10:54:01 pm »

Exactly. And the blood appears in places where the bookkeeper had never even gone before. It's like ghost blood haunting the fortress.
Denethor went berserk!

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2010, 02:00:25 am »

I'm planning on making a blood waterfall.  Basically just a regular waterfall but with more wooden weapon traps and goblins. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Rusty Mcloon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2010, 04:09:24 am »

I am just now appreciating DF's potential for horror. This thread reminded me of either the Shining or a biblical plague. (Woot! The Bible is awesome, by the way.)

This is related only in the horror sense.  I decided to embark in a highly evil place (without an aquifer!:)) After a day or two the beak dogs came and butchered everyone. They then butchered the reclaiming party with two armed dwaves, and the party after that with four armed dwaves. One injured soldier was many z-levels down in a bedroom, suffering severe dehydration, while the beats were upstairs wondering through the stockpiles and moping about the bodies of dead beak dogs mutilated by my traps.

Peasant

• Bay Watcher
  • MANY WHELPS NOW HANDLE IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2010, 05:35:33 am »

My elite wrestler had died after being torn to pieces by a draltha, they still roam my underground area to this day. But that's not the point, the point is that the wrestler's blood suddenly covered several spots in my fortress! This was several seasons after he had died.

Xenoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2010, 07:38:17 am »

Pah!  I laugh at your lightly smeared fortress.  Aim higher.

My recent slaying of a single alligator has lead to nothing less than a river of the damn stuff!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

;D

Marconius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2010, 10:03:26 am »

I believe this is the point where we're supposed to say...

Blood for the blood god!

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2010, 11:22:26 am »

I keep getting spam from one of my dwarves about having nowhere to clean himself but I've just built a well and he an't using it...
edit:Anyone got any ideas on this? I'm really starting to get irritated by the amount of spam, its like everytime he stops doing something he tries to clean himself and fails to find a spot dispite me having a well.
edit2:Okay looks like he's managed to do it finally but now the animals are spamming it...
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 12:28:54 pm by userpay »

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2010, 04:22:24 pm »

Could just be too many creatures trying to access the well at the same time so there's no open path.
Denethor went berserk!

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2010, 05:53:44 pm »

I figured out what it was, they kept grabbing soap and then pathing failed or something, forbid soap and they washed up just fine.
Pages: 1 [2]