Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Constructive Burrow Geometry  (Read 772 times)

TheBeardyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Constructive Burrow Geometry
« on: April 14, 2010, 06:11:56 pm »

It would be useful if instead of defining a burrow directly by the cells that it contains, you could define it as a function (inverse, intersection, union, or difference) of other burrows. For example, you could have an "all stockpiles" burrow that only general haulers could access defined to be the union of all stockpile burrows, and if you need to expand an individual stockpile burrow because you've mined out more space to expand the corresponding stockpile, you wouldn't need to make any change to the "all stockpiles" burrow.

tomato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Constructive Burrow Geometry
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 06:21:53 pm »

wouldn't the union of all stockpiles require to include all "corridor burrow"?

that wouldn't be very handy

I'm not quite sure whatever Toady himself told this or if it was suggested in the burrow thread in suggestions forum, but there was an idea of designated haulers employed specifically to haul stuff from burrow to burrow

TKTom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Constructive Burrow Geometry
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 11:34:39 am »

I like the idea of this. Although it doesn't add any extra functionality, I believe there are some changes intended to make the control system less obtuse and I think this should be added as one of those.

And, with regards to designated haulers:

Try having some dwarves who are assigned only to the burrows they need to haul from and to and have only hauling labours enabled.

I currently haven't found much use for burrows, although they were touted as being rather useful pre-release. I'd like to know how I can use them to (for instance) ensure that a selection of small food stockpiles remain always full by drawing from a central stockpile. I don't what to use the circle take from stockpile system because it involves a lot of pointless shifting of items down the line.