Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Civilians and Enemies  (Read 510 times)

John Gaden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Civilians and Enemies
« on: November 24, 2006, 12:27:00 am »

I know this has been brought up numerous times, but i dont know if its had a thread to discuss in or if its been formally recognized. If it has, well, i apologize.

The actual problem(s):
1. Civilian dwarves (try to) charge blindly past enemies to complete their jobs, regardless of the danger. They then only defend themselves if they're attacked and never run away. I suggest that non-military dwarves made to run in the opposite direction of any enemies or perhaps to the nearest room with a lockable door. The only way around this currently is to draft everyone into the military and start locking doors, which for reasons i shouldnt need to explain causes more problems.

2. If an enemy creature manages to kill a dwarf every idler in the fortress comes running to loot the deceased's corpse, subsequently putting them directly in danger.  If the first problem was addressed, this problem would most likely be fixed as well.

I could've sworn i had more than 2 issues to complain about, but thats the generality of it.   :)   :roll:   :roll:

karnot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Civilians and Enemies
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 09:00:00 am »

quote:
Civilian dwarves (try to) charge blindly past enemies to complete their jobs, regardless of the danger.

I noticed the complete opposite behaviour. Civil dwarves can in fact suddenly think themselves a great pugilists, and charge the enemy, even if they dont have to pass him at all.

Seryntas

• Bay Watcher
  • has created a masterpiece!
    • View Profile
    • RPGWW Forums
Re: Civilians and Enemies
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 02:50:00 pm »

I've had it go both ways.

It's fun when a dwarf actually survives his encounter and comes out a Novice Wrestler.  He almost always gets drafted in my fortress.

"Nectar and ambrosia are all the gods are allowed to eat in Greek mythology. In that way they're kind of like pandas. You know, in diet. From there the similarities break down." -my Greek Lit TA