Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Nice dorms vs. meager bedrooms  (Read 6639 times)

Danjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nice dorms vs. meager bedrooms
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2010, 06:38:12 pm »

I tend to build my sleeping quarters like so:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My workshops and stockpiles are built similarly:

The problem with this is that it's all meticulous and boring, and terribly efficient. So, not Fun. I've always wanted to design a fortress with channels of water or magma flowing under grates. Hmm...
Quote from: mrbobbyg
Hey, I'm cool with you tying a dog up and shooting it with a ballista if you're short on elves, but there's not need to lie about it to us.

Rastaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2010, 10:06:06 pm »

I've currently got UNDERGROUND ISLANDS for each my food/wet goods workshops, industry/dry goods workshops, office block, bedrooms, farms...

Luckily DF2010 regards channels as downward slopes, rather than straight pits like 40d, so anyone who falls in can get out pretty easily.

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2010, 01:48:00 pm »

Wow, Danjen. That was like deja vu opening your spoilers. That's almost exactly how I do my fort. Even the 3 wide main halls and 2x3 bedrooms. Only modification I have is that I use up/down stairs for all the main halls so dwarfs can travel straight up and down at any point in the fort. I love efficiency.
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2010, 02:08:06 pm »

I give my dwarves single 3x3 rooms, and my nobles get 4 rooms, 3x3 each.  And I lay out a single huge area for the king. (4-5 rooms of like... 7x10).  All smoothed.

And no frickin' economy.

UberNube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2010, 02:25:10 pm »

I tend to build my sleeping quarters like so:

My workshops and stockpiles are built similarly:

The problem with this is that it's all meticulous and boring, and terribly efficient. So, not Fun. I've always wanted to design a fortress with channels of water or magma flowing under grates. Hmm...

Yeah, my design is very similar:

Rooms:

Workshops (and sometimes stockpiles)
Each 7x7 room contains either 4 3x3 workshops in the corners, or a single 5x5 workshop in the centre.
This guy gets it, the problem with the child torture dungeon is that they weren't set on fire first.

Ghavrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2010, 02:40:27 pm »

I use one of the fractal bedroom layouts I found on the wiki. Then I let my newbie dorfs smooth/engrave it so they can gain mad stone-scratchy skills. It ends up being surprisingly high quality for 1x3 rooms.

Ramps in DF are these sort of hyperdimensional monstrosities capable of allowing you to walk upwards in whatever direction seems plausible at the time

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2010, 05:28:04 pm »

I make all my non-special dwarves sleep in a super awesome dormitory and bad thoughts be damned.  Any dwarf that requires a room gets one, otherwise they are hot-racking it.  The royal dining room and 1 tile meeting area pretty much completely eliminate any effect of the sleeping quarters bad thoughts.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2010, 06:38:59 pm »

I've been doing 2x2 except one of those is a door. I'm going to have to fiddle with it some so I can scale things up to some more expensive rooms nicely- though I guess with the way I have been doing forts so far I can just stick different room clusters in totally different areas.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.
Pages: 1 2 [3]