Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I'm starting to like the elfs now...  (Read 1036 times)

MoonLightBird

• Bay Watcher
  • Hothothothot!!!
    • View Profile
I'm starting to like the elfs now...
« on: April 14, 2010, 03:27:52 pm »

They have been bringing tons of tame animals for me lately and have been providing my fort with food to last all year. I have about 30 bears of different sorts, and all sorts of exotic animals. I gabbo attack got torn up in .01 seconds from all of them and my leather industry is now what I make all my wealth from. I'll let the elfs live for now.

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I'm starting to like the elfs now...
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 03:30:50 pm »

Couldn't you just alter the raws to make elves butcherable, and then get all your meat for free, with the cost of some needed exercise?
igless

MooUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 03:45:10 pm »

But breeding war-bears and tigermen is so much cooler than harvesting elf-leather...

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 03:49:01 pm »

-blank slate-
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 11:03:28 pm by Vertigon »

Plank of Wood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 03:50:18 pm »

Elves are fine as long as they are borderline indifferent to you. If they start to like you they stop bringing you cool animals and incredibly useful seeds, and start brining pretty much useless rope weed cloth.
The science of burning innocent children could be perfected into clockwork.
They're like little bearded corals.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 05:07:53 pm »

Opposite has happened to me. On a treeless map where I had no trees to even cut, the elves literally drowned me in hippie-wood. Eight pages by last caravan.
Fort eventually died, made a new one in a rainforest.
They brought less animals and less (eventually no) wood by later caravans.
Still plenty of cloth though.

Thundrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 05:08:23 pm »

Elves are fine as long as they are borderline indifferent to you. If they start to like you they stop bringing you cool animals and incredibly useful seeds, and start brining pretty much useless rope weed cloth.

I knew it! Never trust an Elf!!! Hah!

---

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 05:18:12 pm »

I had a yearly goblin ambush that just happened to coincide with the elf caravan arriving, so they all got slaughtered... every single year...

I didn't have any defence against the goblins so I just locked myself in the fort and watched the carnage.  ;D

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 05:20:14 pm »

That is definitely how they behaved in 40d, but I am not so sure that is what they are doing in 2010.  So far my results have been increased good stuff (animals and food) in return for trading to their profit.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Kitpup

• Bay Watcher
  • The Fuzzy One
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 06:30:11 pm »

I just kept seizing their goods (wood on a mostly treeless map, seeds, plants and caged beasties) and they, year after year of leaving in a huff, their +rope reed knickers+ in a twist, bring back more and better caged beasts.
Quote from: My Brain
Dig little diggah, dig!
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.

MoonLightBird

• Bay Watcher
  • Hothothothot!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 06:37:14 pm »

I steal stuff one year and the next I trade for a profit and so far nothing but good stuff. Now that all me dwarf re running around in tattered stuff I will trade for some cloth. On the plus side I now have a breeding pair of desert scorpions.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 06:57:48 pm »

I totally agree that war grizzly bears make the elves worthy of existing now.

I modded in dark elves so I could do both.  Also, its hilarious to see a dark elf ambush attack a regular elf caravan.  Those wooden swords don't do crap as long as the target stays standing, so I have all these funny shaped blood trails from the pack animals that took a month to die. 

...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...