Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Diagonal walls  (Read 1742 times)

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
Diagonal walls
« on: December 19, 2007, 05:23:00 pm »

I know for a fact that this would not work with the current system (because I asked) But regardless, this is how it works:

Lets say you dug out a diagonal passage 1 tile wide. When you smooth both passage walls what happens is the saw toothed edge becomes a single flat diagonal line like all other smoothed walls. The problem is that this line must cut across the empty tiles in order to link up with the line drawn on the wall tiles. According to Toady, graphical layering is impossible right now, otherwise you would simply have to add wedges to the corners of the empty tiles and you end up with a smooth diagonal passage (albeit a rather thin one).

So the question is, would you guys like something like this?

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
Re: Diagonal walls
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 05:25:00 pm »

Im happy with the way things look now, diagonal passageways arent very efficient either because it slows down movement.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Nikinyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 05:55:00 pm »

I don't think it is necessary. IMO, there are too many more important things to add.
Dwarf Fortress - The universe where Elves look like Elephants.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 06:15:00 pm »

Go into your arts file and change

or equivalent into

Your walls will now magically be diagonal!
EDIT: Sorry, it's past midnight so I missed the point.
Looks a bit out of place in DF though, all the corners seem round instead of their usual spikyness...

[ December 19, 2007: Message edited by: Align ]

My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 07:16:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Nikinyo:
<STRONG>I don't think it is necessary. IMO, there are too many more important things to add.</STRONG>

Oh yes of course, but image layering, when or if it gets here will open up so many awesome things.

quote:
Originally posted by Torak:
<STRONG>Im happy with the way things look now, diagonal passageways arent very efficient either because it slows down movement.</STRONG>

Pretty sure they dont anymore, i have a few 1-wide mine shafts where  the tunnels have to bend around lakes and aquifers. Dwarves no longer have to walk and turn, they simply step diagonal.
Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 07:20:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Tamren:
<STRONG>
Pretty sure they dont anymore, i have a few 1-wide mine shafts where  the tunnels have to bend around lakes and aquifers. Dwarves no longer have to walk and turn, they simply step diagonal.</STRONG>

I know they go straight diagonal, but it's been proven that dwarves take 1.6 (or 1.4, dont remember exactly) times as long to move diagonally than if in a straight up, down, left, or right direction.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Yourself

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 10:08:00 pm »

quote:
I know they go straight diagonal, but it's been proven that dwarves take 1.6 (or 1.4, dont remember exactly) times as long to move diagonally than if in a straight up, down, left, or right direction.

That doesn't make moving only along the cardinal directions faster.  Moving 4 steps diagonally would be like moving 8 steps orthogonally (4 vertical, 4 horizontal).  So, if it takes 1 unit of time to step in a cardinal direction and 1.414 units of time to step in a diagonal direction, the diagonal path takes ~5.656 units of time, where the orthogonal path takes 8.  The diagonal path is faster.  After all, the shortest path between two points is a straight line (in a flat, Euclidean universe, anyway).  In Dwarf Fortress the shortest path between two points is to travel diagonally until you're in the same row or column as your destination and then travel along that row or column (barring obstacles such as walls).

Flame11235

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 11:03:00 pm »

I think Toady did it mathematically. If we have a 45-45-90 triangle, the hypotenuse is about 1.41. So walkind diagonally should take about 1.41 times longer than walking in the four cardinal directions.

Assuming that's how Toady calculated it anyway.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2007, 12:18:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Align:
<STRONG>Go into your arts file and change

or equivalent into

Your walls will now magically be diagonal!
EDIT: Sorry, it's past midnight so I missed the point.
Looks a bit out of place in DF though, all the corners seem round instead of their usual spikyness...

[ December 19, 2007: Message edited by: Align ]</STRONG>

Huh. I really like that look, actually... Not with that floor, but using the default +'s, it looks quite nice, actually. At least to me.