Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: (Semi-) Nomadic civs?  (Read 866 times)

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
(Semi-) Nomadic civs?
« on: November 21, 2006, 01:10:00 am »

Hello,

I was wondering if there are plans to have nomadic or semi-nomadic civs in areas where other civilizations are not really willing to build cities or towns.

I think this would add a lot to dwarf fortress mode because having such civilization would make it possible to play a map in a remote/desolate area without getting bored to death.  I was having fun on one particular map which was rocky desert with no river... it was challenging, but in a fun way.  But eventually I realized that nothing other than a gimpy dwarf mule train was coming to visit me, because there were no human or elf civs anywhere nearby.  Also, there were no sieges beyond the rare kobold suicide attempt.  After about four years or so I got bored and decided to start over, so I flooded the whole map and abandoned.

I saw that Three Toe wrote about tribes a bit, but mostly as a sub-unit within civilizations.  It would be great to see some tribal/nomadic civilizations out there to interact with the more remote dwarf fortresses.

Also, here's hoping that someday the caravans will take different forms, such as camel trains, giant lizard trains, elephant trains (shudder) etc...

Anyways, this has probably all been considered in one form or another... no doubt Toady will have to get to the army/caravan arc before this kind of thing takes place.  Just thought I would mention this!

X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (Semi-) Nomadic civs?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 01:29:00 am »

Yeah, want nomads if for no other reason than the horsebowmen and griffins.

X

John Gaden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (Semi-) Nomadic civs?
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 09:32:00 pm »

Now that i think of it, a lot of things from the might and magic series would be awesome for this game, since a lot of those games also revolved around running a fortress.