Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Return to World Gen  (Read 594 times)

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Return to World Gen
« on: April 13, 2010, 10:09:30 pm »

I think it would be interesting to get to see the effect we've had on the world on a longer scale- let us, after abandoning a fortress or retiring an adventurer,  return to something like world gen for a few years or decades- learn who won the elf/dwarf war we started, whether any civilizations were able to recover from our continent-spanning eye-gouging spree, whether our civilization survived the loss of its king in a magma/kitten accident.. I don't know the system, but it seems doable.
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Return to World Gen
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 12:47:58 am »

Ah, oops. No word from Toady?
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 12:56:01 am »

Ah, oops. No word from Toady?

He did comment on it when the idea came up tangentially in another thread:

History mode

That is, instead of starting a fortress or an adventurer, you can specify a number of years and the game will load the current world as it is and then runs it through the history simulator again for as many years as stated.

No other features added, just using the same routines and functions also used during the recounting legends phase of world generation. So, I imagine it could be implemented relatively easily (of course, I don't know the internals of DF, so this is just speculation).
Once world gen stops, it finalizes all of the civilizations and their associated symbols etc. as well as all of the historical figures, and it gets rid of a lot of the helper information it had stored.  That information could be reconstructed, repeated finalizations could be dodged, and it could start thinking of the finalized unit-hist-figs as normal hist figs again, but there are associated difficulties there (such as updating the finalized information to square with new world gen events).  It's not as easy as just telling it to start again, anyway.  So it's neither impossible nor the kind of thing that can just be slipped in there.

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 01:26:50 am »

*Nods* It occurred to me it might be something like that.

Thanks for the help. Time to start crossing my fingers.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 01:27:53 am »

He also mentioned it in DF Talk 6, I think.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."