Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Combat Medics and General Illnesses (and now combat behavior tweaks!)  (Read 814 times)

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is there any way that a combat medic could be created? one of the main killers on the battlefield is bleeding and I think it would be awesome if there were some way to have a dwarf run around and bandage people up as a very temporary fix to there current situation...perhaps it could work by slowing bleeding or something (as stopping it would make surgery and all unnecessary).

It could use the medical skills in place already. The weapon for the medic could be bandages and they could be coded to NOT be afraid of bad guys and of course instead of attacking bad guys they would patch up friendlies and maybe even pull them away from the battlefield enough for a civilian to drag em off to the doc.

Spose the reason I suggest this is that it simply feels like a lot of times they get minor injuries or they flat out die....this could help strike a balance where someone could get a severe wound and potentially live...seems like just one more way to utilize the medical system.

Another way to utilize the system and make doctors keep busy is to have general illnesses that could be influenced by things like weather and overall nutrition (eg multiple food/drink types give more nutrition). I think that having some naturally occurring and generally non fatal health issues would be a good way to have your doctors get some medical knowledge without needing to create a training station or so...as this seems much more realistic and in the end would give more uses for the weather/temperature model and increase the importance of multiple food types...just seems logical to me to try and integrate the medical system into the current DF world as much as possible....I see tons of potential
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 02:31:12 pm by dennislp3 »

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
Re: Combat Medics and General Illnesses
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 10:56:01 am »

Cool idea, maybe integrated into a squad (the medic squad).  That in off duty, behaves like normal doctor, but "on duty" will prioritize injured combatant and rush to drag them to safety (amidst crossbow fire).

Thou it may potentially become a "!!*Pig tail socks*!!" problem with them running into a hail of arrows.
So 1 injury becomes 2, 2 becomes 4, and before you know it, one dead soldier led to the death of your entire medic squad.
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 11:34:12 am »

I'd like to see this, maybe along with some generally more intelligent behaviors for dwarves dealing with emergency situations.

- Medics running in and treating injured dwarves or hauling them out of combat to hospital zones.
- Rescue dwarves who throw a -pigtail rope- to a drowning (or trapped, even) dwarf, hauling him out of the water to safety.
- Fire brigade dwarves who use buckets of water (maybe positioned strategically around the fort) to put out burning dwarves and furniture.
- Engineer-brigade dwarves who can dig trenches, throw up emergency bridges/quick fortifications, and operate siege weapons in the face of invaders.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 11:51:55 am »

Cool idea, maybe integrated into a squad (the medic squad).  That in off duty, behaves like normal doctor, but "on duty" will prioritize injured combatant and rush to drag them to safety (amidst crossbow fire).

Thou it may potentially become a "!!*Pig tail socks*!!" problem with them running into a hail of arrows.
So 1 injury becomes 2, 2 becomes 4, and before you know it, one dead soldier led to the death of your entire medic squad.

to deal with the issue of running into danger and just dieing I think they would simply need to do a check....check for opponents and if they are within firing range and not engaged then don't go for the injured dwarf...if they are preoccupied in combat with another then they would go in and drag the person away at least a little before they administer aid...so essentially a balanced attitude that would make them act like civs if they are targeted but act more like soldiers if they are not being targeted. I really do like the off duty = doc on duty = medic idea....didn't think of it like that but it makes perfect sense...spose you could circumvent making a medic and have the doc behavior edited to act this way

This whole idea makes me think of cultural differences to...eg...if fighting and an opponent is incapacitated (which needs to be worked on a tad...dwarfs losing 2 legs and still going in to fight the few rounds before they die makes no sense >.>) certain cultures would stop there and seek another target while other cultures would ensure they are dead...for example say humans fight to incapacitate (and if they kill all the better) while goblins fight for the kill and ensure that everyone they fight dies
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 11:55:22 am by dennislp3 »

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 12:49:47 pm »

[quote author=dennislp3 link=topic=54109.msg1162997#msg1162997
This whole idea makes me think of cultural differences to...eg...if fighting and an opponent is incapacitated (which needs to be worked on a tad...dwarfs losing 2 legs and still going in to fight the few rounds before they die makes no sense >.>) certain cultures would stop there and seek another target while other cultures would ensure they are dead...for example say humans fight to incapacitate (and if they kill all the better) while goblins fight for the kill and ensure that everyone they fight dies
[/quote]

Doing it by civ makes less sense to me than doing it by mission. Eventually all raids and such will have an objective on the part of the invaders, so humans may be more likely to perform surgical strikes (incapacitating threatening dwarves in order to reach an objective) than goblins, but two civs on the same mission would both be operating under the same kill/wound orders.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 02:25:27 pm »

Quote from: dennislp3 link=topic=54109.msg1162997#msg1162997

Doing it by civ makes less sense to me than doing it by mission. Eventually all raids and such will have an objective on the part of the invaders, so humans may be more likely to perform surgical strikes (incapacitating threatening dwarves in order to reach an objective) than goblins, but two civs on the same mission would both be operating under the same kill/wound orders.

Yes what you are saying makes sense. I guess the point I was trying to make is not that they wouldn't want to or try to kill but rather incapacitating would be enough for some cultures. I think its a realistic model because in war some countries and societies over time have gone about it with genocidal attitudes and some have gone at it in a much less violent and much more "just get the job done" kinda views.

This is just something that I think would fit in well in the raws by either tweaking the effects of the ethics tags or by simply adding a new one...and I say simply under the assumption that adding one might not be to difficult...but I don't really know...which leads me to the final note.

I think having it as an ethics tag would be simpler than coding certain missions to have this certain behavior...not to mention it would allow player created races to have these behaviors by choice as well. Hell there could even be an extreme of do everything in self defense to incapacitate but nothing more if possible (for peaceful races)

now that I think of it....this could allow for prisoners of war...a completely different feature that in itself would open up tons of possibilities in the future
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 02:28:48 pm by dennislp3 »