Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: removing underground water.  (Read 1018 times)

meowmix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
removing underground water.
« on: April 12, 2010, 05:04:56 pm »

if i channeled to the edge of the map would the water from my underground pool flow off the map? or do i have to pump it to the surface if i want to get rid of it

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: removing underground water.
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 05:07:21 pm »

It flows in from the sides. Most underground lakes have connections to the edge of the map and so water should replenish. Same deal with magma.

You need to pump it dry enough to build a wall, and then the wall can hold back the water for all but the last 5 spaces to the edge of the map.

meowmix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 05:13:08 pm »

oh er i meant my artificial underground pool, i was trying to irrigate some dug out areas but since my water source is a reservoir dug out underground i dont see any place for the water to go once i open the flood gates.

which is why i was wondering if i channeled to the edge of the map, would the water flow off the map

Fetus4188

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 05:16:32 pm »

Yes, any "empty" space will allow water to flow off the edge.  I believe you can also carve fortifications in edge stone and that will work.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 06:15:06 pm »

You can channel edge tiles?  I'm going to have to try this...
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 06:22:02 pm »

No, I'm quite sure you cannot channel edge tiles.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 06:41:03 pm »

No, I'm quite sure you cannot channel edge tiles.

Confirming this.  however, smoothing and carving fortifications allows liquids to flow off the map (both water and magma in 2010, just water in previous versions), so do that.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

meowmix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 08:39:39 pm »

so basically once i get to the edge of the map i first smooth the wall and then carve the wall into fortifications?

so if this
    | |
__xxxx___ <= edge of map

x= fortifications
| | is a tunnel for water to flow through

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 12:59:28 am »

That's right. You really just need one fortification carved, depending on how fast you need to drain it. Otherwise you can annihilate the water from existence by building a couple of raising bridges and letter the water flow through them, with dwarves hauling on the levers now and then.