Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rat weed from rats in crops  (Read 1083 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Rat weed from rats in crops
« on: August 02, 2007, 10:14:00 am »

I would propose that when vermin are not controlled, they can mess with your crops and food stocks:
1. Rats can transform growing plants into rat weed.
2. Rats can transform plants in barrels/stockpiles/etc into rat weed.
3. Rat weed produces more rats.
4. You can still brew rat weed, so you may actually want to make a contained area with lots of vermin for producing rat weed, while keeping plenty of cats to prevent it in the rest of your fort.

This idea comes from a dream I had last night, actually - one of those dreams where the dream is of a game that you've played. My farms were being overrun by rats, who were transforming my plants into rat weed, and producing more rats.

An alternative would be if, instead of being rat weed and rats, it was a fungal disease and spores, with everything else besides prevention being the same as proposed. Then it would be similar to real life's huitlacoche.

<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Silveron

• Bay Watcher
  • Arichect of Destruction
    • View Profile
Re: Rat weed from rats in crops
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 11:25:00 am »

Not quite what you're after but in the same vein.

Bloat12, VERMIN TROUBLE, (Future): More vermin trouble for farmers in general. This makes vermin hunting pets more essential to have around. There can be various funny farm vermin. They could burrow in the farms. Creatures outside could also make burrows.

Bloat18, VERMIN AND DISEASE, (Future): Link vermin to plagues.

For your added amusement, there is some great stuff here:
Core/Req/Bloat Page