Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Naming conventions of contaminants and spatters  (Read 425 times)

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Naming conventions of contaminants and spatters
« on: April 13, 2010, 10:04:47 pm »

Following Foots suggestion on the bug tracker, I'm moving this over to suggestions:

Currently, the naming conventions for contaminants and spatters can get a bit odd. For instance, on a freezing tundra, pools of werewolf blood will become piles of werewolf frozen blood. Aside from fighting over the dominance of adjectives (like 'frozen' should be before 'werewolf') I would suggest the liquids in a frozen state continue to use liquid adjectives. So instead of a pile of frozen whatever, you would have a pool frozen stuff.

Anyone think of anything else that could do with a rewrite on the grammar front?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Naming conventions of contaminants and spatters
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 12:06:20 am »

It might be weird, though, if a pool of grease solidifies back into "pool of fat," or if water freezes into a "pool of ice."  It's okay to have a "frozen pool," but if the solid state name doesn't have "frozen" in it, then it doesn't work.

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Naming conventions of contaminants and spatters
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 03:28:35 am »

I wonder, could a raws tag be made that replaces a series of characters with an appropriate value from another raws entry? so you could create a tag such as:
[CONTAMINANT_NAME:LIQUID:spatter of PARENT LIQUID:smear of PARENT LIQUID:puddle of PARENT LIQUID:pool of PARENT LIQUID]

the first field (liquid) would denote the state of contaminant; the second field would be for tiny quantities, then small, then medium, then large, or however the quantities are broken up. PARENT would insert the name of whatever the contaminant originated from. So if this tag is for fat, it would be the animal the fat came from. LIQUID would insert the value from the materials [STATE_NAME:LIQUID:whatever] field.

This would allow each material to be grammatically correct for itself. So blood could be :Pool of frozen PARENT LIQUID: for a pool of frozen werewolf blood. Ice could just have :frozen pool:, or :frozen pool of LIQUID: if it's important to tell it's water. It would still have [STATE_NAME:SOLID:ICE] for ice boulders, constructions, etc.

The downside of course is the PITA it would be to manually ensure each and every material in the game is grammatically correct. This is also assuming a raw tag could be programmed to call up values like that, and with little to no experience with programming I cannot begin to guess at that.
-Edit- It's also anything but elegant, so I think I'll keep working on it
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 03:40:42 am by GRead »