Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "Urist McDinner has entered combat!" notification  (Read 858 times)

Emnar

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun...I should know!
    • View Profile
"Urist McDinner has entered combat!" notification
« on: April 13, 2010, 12:16:58 am »

With all the invading beasties, too often the first notice of combat is one of your dwarves cancelling a job because his leg just got torn off by a troll.  This wasn't as big a deal when the most threatening sieges were announced, but with DF2010 you can get some pretty significant invaders just creeping up from you-know-where.

Would be nice if we got an announcement when a dwarf entered combat.  Maybe suppress further announcements if they happen within 20 tiles on the same Z-level within the next 1000 ticks, or something like that, to avoid spam.  Or maybe just make it spammy.  I'd rather hit 'a' to cancel a few scrolling announcements than lose three legendary craftsman to something my Adequate Swordsdwarf could probably behead in two swings.

Even if you have your army stationed properly, it would be fun to get an alert and quickly switch over to see them fight.  Watching limbs fly everywhere and blood spatter on the walls is part of what makes this game awesome.

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
Re: "Urist McDinner has entered combat!" notification
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 11:37:30 am »

I had a giant mole chase one of my guys up twenty-five flights of stairs from the depths and out the main entrance into daylight . . . through a field of weapon traps.  The first I learned of it was when, checking my stockpiles, I found giant mole leather.