Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Minor "Flavor" changes  (Read 971 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Minor "Flavor" changes
« on: April 12, 2010, 09:44:20 pm »

In looking at the new release I can't help but feel as though there are some very minor changes that might enhance the "flavor" of the game. For instance

Cave dragons having a breath weapon, specifically one more suited to their corrupted existence. My idea would be a copy of the normal dragon fire in appearance ( ie massive burst of fire) except the fire would be fading from purple to black and rather then causing burns it would cause instant necrosis to any tissue it touched. It seems fitting.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Perhaps that being undead gives any creature a necrotic bite?

Basically just little quick additions that make the world seem more tasty in it's odd, horrific awesomeness. Any ideas?

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
Re: Minor "Flavor" changes
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 09:49:10 pm »

Some of these you can do yourself.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 10:34:56 pm »

Some of these you can do yourself.
Obviously, But I'm saying that they would be good to have in vanilla. They add to the flavor of the world without being over powering or different from the established paradigms. 

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 11:51:48 pm »

This one's been mentioned before, but this seems like a good place for it.

So, Forgotten Beasts are a bit drab, cause they're, well, "Forgotten". Giving them history in legends wouldn't work so great. But, that doesn't mean they couldn't *have* histories, that you could get glimpses of. Maybe they show up already scarred, or have in their gutsack the head of some long-dead dwarven king they ate.

Oh. Totems need to be buildable like statues.

And I don't know how the HFS is placed right now, but maybe put it only where HFS escaped into the world in the past? Or something?

Oh, and the Underground- incredibly, unutterably cool, but could be cooler. Leave a few remnants of old stuff there- the odd statue or engraving, a skeletal corpse still clutching a sword, maybe half a fort or have one or two connecting veins already mined out?
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 04:14:39 am »

The goodtimes villa shouldn't have just any animals in it. As much as I like cows and camels, they are not a particularly menacing of a menagerie.

I don't really like it being a regional feature either. It should be connected to the history, not just randomly generated. It's really dull as is and raises the question how the bug things and whatnot would build something and why.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 12:43:44 pm »

The goodtimes villa shouldn't have just any animals in it. As much as I like cows and camels, they are not a particularly menacing of a menagerie.

I don't really like it being a regional feature either. It should be connected to the history, not just randomly generated. It's really dull as is and raises the question how the bug things and whatnot would build something and why.

I always assumed it was something "Mountains of Madness" like, where they built it aeons ago back when the world was young and you just happen to stupidly stumble upon it again. I think it should have engravings which cause insanity

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 12:52:55 pm »

Eventually (to complete my Call of Cthulhu mod) I will want a hell of a lot of things to cause near instant insanity (I'd do it by giving them a massive negative thought for having witnessed abominations lately)
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 01:50:09 pm »

Eventually (to complete my Call of Cthulhu mod) I will want a hell of a lot of things to cause near instant insanity (I'd do it by giving them a massive negative thought for having witnessed abominations lately)
Need to release a world with massive antarctic city and undersea ruins as well as a degenerating coastal area complete with "Colour out of space" style "blasted Heath"   

NinjaE8825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 03:10:29 pm »