Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves interacting with caravan during economy?  (Read 659 times)

Wang Commander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves interacting with caravan during economy?
« on: November 19, 2006, 10:04:00 pm »

This idea was developed by Wahnsinniger in IRC.

What if dwarves, or dwarven shops, could buy from the caravan without the player's intervention.  Dwarves with hard cash could buy favorite items, shops could buy popular things to stock, or exotic goods.  

To balance this out, the caravan's employees could purchase from dwarven shops as well.

[ November 19, 2006: Message edited by: Wang Commander ]

dav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves interacting with caravan during economy?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 12:47:00 pm »

Would this prevent/precede your trading?  I balk a little at not being able to buy food because Mr. Clothes Mogul likes barrels.  I can see some appeal to not being able to control trading at all - trying to make sure that the resources and motivation to buy pets, food, etc. is there.  But it would have to be really, really smooth.  Teensy bugs could wreck the experience.

If there's some lead time - say, the shop owners and trade nobles meet to discuss business over a plump helmet martini, it seems like a really cool idea.

Wang Commander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves interacting with caravan during economy?
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 03:49:00 pm »

I think that's the idea, yes.  That these people could trade trinkets and personal assets according to desires and demand, but the player would have the ability to trade fortress goods for caravan goods.

It could also be implemented as a noble mandate, I guess, a "Trade For X (Y#)" kind of thing, but I think that would be less neat.