Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Bodyparts  (Read 1306 times)

Keolah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bodyparts
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2010, 05:10:49 pm »

I don't know that there's much cause to complain about a (not all that obscure) name for a piece of meat, in a game that has so many (far, far more obscure) kinds of rock... :P I had never even heard of 80% of the stuff you can dig up, before I started playing...
There's no use crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of *cat tallow roast*.

Steely Glint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2010, 05:20:11 pm »

Frankly, I'd rather just have a large pile of "organs" instead of tiny 1-2 sized piles of eye, brain, liver, sweetbread, intestines, stomach, lungs, heart, kidneys, etc. If there was some difference between them, I could understand it but right now they're just different names for the same stuff.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2010, 06:55:27 pm »

They'll probably be used for different recipes. Not sure about the eyes, seems like it wouldn't make for much of a main dish in such low volume.

You probably already knew what that gneiss block came from. It's not really the same as an organ named bread.

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2010, 10:21:20 pm »

Rename eye teeth as fangs. Let's face it, you only went with eye teeth to make sure the game was as inaccessible as possible.

It's far more probable that "Eyetooth" is the term used in whatever dental chart Toady pulled the names from. I've never heard anyone who wasn't a vet or doctor call them eyeteeth, but clearly, it seems perfectly intuitive to a lot of people.

Calling them canine teeth is probably a better option, but I don't see the bit about sweetbreads being all that helpful.

Can you think of a more readily identified dish made from pancreas?
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2010, 12:02:25 am »

This issue is that it's not a dish in DF; it's simply prepared pancreas, and should probably be referred to as such, like the game does with intestines and brains and the like.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

tsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2010, 06:17:21 am »

...Unless your message is "drvn 2 hsptl 4 snak bite" or something, you seriously DO have the time to spell it out.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2010, 08:35:56 pm »

Replacing obscure terms with more well known, equivalent terms is not underestimating the intelligence of the playerbase.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.
Pages: 1 [2]