Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Sleeping Around  (Read 1655 times)

riznar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sleeping Around
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2010, 04:15:42 pm »

Decentralized workshops and living make noise avoidance difficult.

Dwarves aren't diurnal so they sleep whenever they feel like it. So you'd have to make sure everyone's workplace isn't near someone else's bedroom.

It'd be like dwarven suburbia.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2010, 05:37:28 pm »

Or maybe we need to rethink of how to build the fortresses. No more sleeping quarters floors, but instead little houses with a workshop, some booze and some food, and their own bed. Assign burrows so that the dwarf actually uses his own stuff instead of running off to somewhere else.

The miners and haulers would be screwed, and there would be less happy thoughts about the giant dining room, but at least they should stay in their own beds.

I've had to do that with food and drink.  Sleeping arrangements are harder because of the noise factor, but we now usually have at least 50 z-levels to play with, so it should be doable.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2010, 05:54:41 pm »

All of my food is located next to the great dining hall, but I do scatter booze stockpiles everywhere. Small stockpiles of booze are along major traffic paths all around the fortress. Dwarves do drink more often than they eat.

I think I should adopt a similar layout for beds, with bunkrooms scattered around the fortress so there is always a close bed for a dwarf to sleep in.

Any rooms that I want a dwarf to sleep in will be "behind" a bunkroom, so the bunkroom is between the activity area and the noble's bedroom/hospital, and any sleeping dwarves will fill up the bunkroom beds instead of the important beds I want kept free.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2010, 04:21:11 am »

Noise... Wiki doesn't have to say a lot about noise in DF2010 yet, but I do know that workshops in 40d made no noise at all. The only things to be aware of were waterpumps, mining and placing furniture.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2010, 08:14:59 am »

Since this bug has come up I've been building a single communal bedroom for all my dwarves, with overlapping bedrooms designated from each bed in the communal bedroom.  That way even if a dwarf doesn't make it to the bed that's considered his, he's still sleeping within the space that designated from his bed, and therefore counts as sleeping in his room.  It only becomes a problem when you get nobles who demand their own special bedroom that's better than everyone else.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

huhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2010, 10:12:47 am »

This one is #3 on the list of new developments I'm waiting most for DF, right after the d19 merge and the military menu stuff. Every game so far has had the same problem.
Pages: 1 [2]