Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: more realistic smoothing/engraving  (Read 996 times)

Crafty Barnardo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
more realistic smoothing/engraving
« on: December 18, 2007, 01:03:00 pm »

I know this would be a pain to implement and it would probably be considered a nerf, but it has always bugged me:  isn't it kind of unrealistic to have a wall tile smoothed or engraved and then have the detailing magically appear on the other side at the same time?  I mean, if I carve my initials into the wall of my bedroom, let's say, I wouldn't expect to then walk outside and see my initials (written backwards, mind you) on the siding outside.  It would be more realistic to force each side of a wall to be detailed separately.

Again, I realize this would be a pain, because there would have to be a separate image tile for a wall detailed on the south face vs. a wall detailed on the north face, etc.  In fact there would have to be 48 different tiles for both smoothing and engraving if I am counting right.  It would also mean your stone detailers would have to do more work if you want to completely detail two rooms which are side by side.  

I don't think this would apply to fortifications since they are supposed to go all the way through the wall anyway.

Crafty Barnardo cancels task:  distracted by shiny object

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: more realistic smoothing/engraving
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 01:17:00 pm »

Actually, an easier way is to place an overlay over detailed walls, that shows where the wall is detailed. Of course, it doesn't really go well with the ASCII style, and the current system is simpler, but this does add a degree of realism.

Nah. I'd say keep the ASCII style. DF has enough realism (or will have) to make up for this bit. I'd much rather have parallel smooth walls that don't connect into a grid.

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 01:27:00 pm »

Engravings already have a "side" to them, which just makes everything sort of weird.  Unless you have a really good memory, you can't even tell which side it is storing (it is the side it was engraved from), but it does come up in room valuations.  And yeah, making it better is a display issue, pretty much.  Req180:

Req180, ENGRAVING LOOK PROBLEMS, (Future): You can see engraving descriptions even if you are off of the facing level.

is kind of an old outmodded thing referring to that for adventure mode, but the whole system is just an unfinished thing I haven't addressed for a while.  I don't know if I'll just scrap it in the end or try to recover something from it.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 01:47:00 pm »

Columns engraved from 8 sides? Descriptions showing which side has which engraving? Maybe an engrave order could repeat until all sides have been engraved(the ones that have flooring next to them at any rate)? That way a multi-engraved column could be worth a lot more than a column does now.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 02:39:00 pm »

And if you have Nobles quaters that have walls that face onto other things, it'd make sure that there's an engraving on the Noble's side.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 05:13:00 pm »

Can you engrave diagonally from above?

A cube of stone would potentially have the following:

4 cardinal directions on the same level.
4 diagonal directions on the same level.
The same directions on the edges/corners from above or below: 16 total.
And the top and bottom, which would parse as engraving the floor or ceiling.

Taking into account the multi-level nature of a single z-layer (wall and floor) by fudge, saying that the top and bottom of a floor tile are the only parts that can be engraved, while the top and bottom of a wall tile are the only parts that cannot be engraved (its existance implies floors)

So 26 engravings total per tile. Potentially. And rewalling over an engraved floor would likely deface it, so the total number of actual engravable sites in a tile is probably less than that in practice.

This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.