Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: How would DF handle a quad-core processor?  (Read 4528 times)

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
Re: How would DF handle a quad-core processor?
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2010, 12:06:38 pm »

EDIT: JESUS CHRIST ALMIGHTY. Yeah. I'm looking for something AT LEAST four times cheaper.
As I mentioned earlier, not sure on your prices but i7 920 can be had for $200 USD (Got mine from Microcenter for $199. Fry's sells for $219) and easily overclocked to beyond those 975/980 ghz levels (minus the bonus cache you'd get from shelling out 3x or 4x the price) with proper cooling. Make sure to request d0 over c0 stepping though, as that affects cooling.

EDIT: Actually, the 920 and 975 ARE practically the same chip, just QPI speed, higher unlocked max turbo, bus. Seriously, the smartest highest performance bang for your buck is to buy a 920 and overclock. The 980 is a 6 core beast of a totally different level. Even if you had the money to blow on $1000 cpus, it's never worth it to spend that much on new tech for personal use unless you have free $ to blow.

I heard intel is phasing out the 920. When it first came out, heck, even now - it's an overclocker's dream. Pay relatively cheap money and receive nigh unbeatable performance. It's probably why it's being phased out  ::) No reason to pay more money than it. The new i7s and i5s have limits on their overclock, which pisses me off.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 12:24:04 pm by KaelGotDwarves »

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2010, 01:37:06 pm »

Hmmm, yeah, a 920 is... affordable. But isn't there anything (equally powerful + cheaper + dual core) or (more powerful + same price + dual core)? Since I won't ever be using the third and fourth core...
<3

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2010, 01:38:59 pm »

Are you quite sure you won't be using it?

Applications are getting better at this, honest.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2010, 01:50:06 pm »

Are you quite sure you won't be using it?

Applications are getting better at this, honest.

If he won't use it in the next X months, where X=time until replacement, it's not worth spending much more on it.

In other words, why buy an amazing CPU today at $400 when in a year you can get the same thing for $200? Buy the $200 today and then wait a year or so, and if needed, get the new hotness at $200. Price/performance ratio.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2010, 01:55:17 pm »

Yup, pretty much. The apps I'm using today are doing mighty fine on my senile Athlon 64 3000+
I'm buying this strictly for DF.
<3

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2010, 02:03:25 pm »

Actually, now is a good time since 920s are on firesale and you simply can't get anything near the performance of an overclocked i7 for $200. Closest would be the amd phenom IIs. The i5s are remarkably hardware gimped while being more affordable 1156 socket, but I can't stand when a company puposely disables a product to maintain their insane pricing scheme ala intel. Jumps from $200 to $500+ for a simple unlock? A performance tweak I can get better than for a $30 aftermarket cpu cooler? And the new generations of i7s are made to run hotter on purpose to hurt overclocking.

Seriously?

Now I'm a consumer looking out for my own monetary interests so that's why I went the 920 route. But I'm liable to completely give intel the finger and buy AMD out of principle if this shit keeps up.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2010, 05:41:52 pm »

Sorry for reviving the thread, but here's a dillema: considering I ONLY need the CPU for playing DF, which one is better: an i7 920 or an AMD Phenom II X2 555 for one third of the i7's price?
<3

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2010, 05:56:58 pm »

Sorry for reviving the thread, but here's a dillema: considering I ONLY need the CPU for playing DF, which one is better: an i7 920 or an AMD Phenom II X2 555 for one third of the i7's price?

Go with the 920....not only is it reliable and all if I remember it has HUGE overclock potential which would be good to extend its life in the future

Leotto

• Bay Watcher
  • Rumplord
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2010, 06:03:28 pm »

I don't know about quad-core, but if you have Dual-core.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]