Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Reaction: ice + empty bucket -> water in bucket  (Read 1220 times)

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Reaction: ice + empty bucket -> water in bucket
« on: April 10, 2010, 01:34:16 am »

Is it possible to make a reaction which takes an empty bucket plus a chunk of mined-out ice, and produce a bucket containing liquid water, as if it had been filled from a well?  I've made two attempts: the first turned wooden buckets into buckets made out of ice, and the second one caused all of the reagents to vanish without producing a product.

ETA: Ah, solved it:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Problems:

1) If you put the workshop above ground where it's freezing, the buckets end up contain ice.

1b) I can't figure out how to get my dwarves to move ice filled buckets underground.  They have no problem storing empty buckets in the furniture stockpile, and they ignore any orders to dump the ice filled buckets (I made sure to save and continue in case it was a pathing issue)

2) If you put the workshop underground, the ice will melt before the reaction can be finished. 
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 02:00:08 am by Khym Chanur »

Urist McCyrilin

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh, the dwarfity!
    • View Profile
    • CyCom! Writing&PnP!
Re: Reaction: ice + empty bucket -> water in bucket
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 01:49:46 am »

I could be wrong but if you just add a reaction to put the ice in the bucket and place the workshop that is used for the reaction inside and underground the ice should turn into water on its own.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 03:23:54 am »

Awesome idea. The only problem I want to ask about:
1) Will they empty the bucket if it's not immediately needed?
2) Will you replace the water with something randomly?

I mean, you're not supposed to have buckets of water laying around. Usually a dwarf grabs a bucket, fills it and uses it. Will it be stored normally?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 03:50:51 am »

Awesome idea. The only problem I want to ask about:
1) Will they empty the bucket if it's not immediately needed?
2) Will you replace the water with something randomly?

So far they refuse to move any bucket that has ice in it.  Ice filled buckets just sit in the workshop, even though the dwarves are willing to haul empty buckets to a furniture stockpile.  Deconstructing the workshop scatters the filled buckets around where the workshop used to be, but the dwarves still won't touch them.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 08:37:25 am »

You could add the reaction to a special furnace to melt ice during winter, or if in a freezing/cold biome, during all seasons.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Wavecutter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 10:23:46 am »

I have only a passing understanding of DF modding but what if you forgo the bucket and instead add a new item [Ice Block]. You can get ice blocks by mining ice. Take 5 ice blocks (or whatever number) and a barrel to the furnace and make a barrel of water?
We farm and kill mermaid children. Its too late to worry about political correctness.