Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Starting Seven Potluck  (Read 555 times)

rylen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Starting Seven Potluck
« on: April 10, 2010, 02:05:52 pm »

Here's an interesting starting variation.  Instead of customizing your dwarfs, you get to choose 7 from a short list (perhaps 12, init customizable) volunteers willing to leave their old mountainhome.  This has a chance of offering better skills than you get by purchasing, at the expense of control.

There needs to be some work to ensure the pool contains a decent selection of skills.

Some dwarves bring things besides their skills.  For instance, Urist McBigCatDwarf has his pet leopard.  Or Urist McFamilydwarf has, in addition to her skills, her husband, child, and pet cow.

Essentially, the fortress is settled by a hand picked immigrant wave.

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starting Seven Potluck
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 03:37:28 pm »

I was about to suggest something like this. 

I'd like to see something in between "start now!" or "prepare carefully".  You'd be able to request certain professions, and the lineup of specific dwarves sent to your fortress would be based on what you request, but not entirely controlled. 

Or the idea of the OP, to have a list of extant dwarves with belongings, relatives and pets that must come along with them sounds good too.

And perhaps aways away in the future this kind of thing would let you specifically request criminals/disenfranchised dwarves of various sorts, to form a sort of "penal colony...

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: Starting Seven Potluck
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 04:34:45 pm »

This is planned, much like enhanced adventurer customization, for when player entities actually come from civs and have histories, rather than being poofed into being on the spot.