Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: How do these people get laid?  (Read 6082 times)

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
Re: How do these people get laid?
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2010, 12:56:01 am »

Flavorwise, I find it within the norm of fantasy for dwarves to be ugly on average. However, I suspect there will be a demand for mods that substantially increase the beauty of human/elven adventurers, and a significant feature of later mods will be the more attractive player or antagonist races offered.

I'd prefer it if Toady allowed us to define our adventurer's appearance at the outset. That way, we could make a golden greek god, or Quasimodo. It's not so much the fact that they're ugly; it's the fact that they're ugly and we had nothing to do with it.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2010, 12:57:12 am »

Flavorwise, I find it within the norm of fantasy for dwarves to be ugly on average. However, I suspect there will be a demand for mods that substantially increase the beauty of human/elven adventurers, and a significant feature of later mods will be the more attractive player or antagonist races offered.

I'd prefer it if Toady allowed us to define our adventurer's appearance at the outset. That way, we could make a golden greek god, or Quasimodo. It's not so much the fact that they're ugly; it's the fact that they're ugly and we had nothing to do with it.
I agree with this heartily.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2010, 01:33:36 am »

Hi!

As for the idea of allowing you to design your own looks - no, definitely no.

First of all, such a feature usually results in a lot of boredom, as people are likely to run out of ideas in the middle ground - you will have the Adonis faction and the leprosy faction, and a dwindling middle ground of humans that actually look like human beings.

Secondly, Dwarf Fortress strives for a high level of consistency. We already have genetics working in Fortress mode and dwarves are beginning to have a life before the fortress. It is only reasonable to assume that adventurers will also eventually be completely embedded in the world of Dwarf Fortress. That is, they have parents, grand parents, cousins, and what not through the centuries. And they will inherit traits from those before them. So, it would be counterproductive to allow free changing of the traits.

However, once we get things to such a level, you might suggest that you are offered an adventurer, and if you don't like him/her, you can ask for another youth to be suggested. That is the system basically used in the Lunatic Dawn series, which also have a consistent world, but a much, much cruder simulation.

As for the beauty question in general, I want to add that there is the ancient saying of "beauty lies in the eye of the beholder". And I agree with Cganya that there is probably a bit of immaturity involved in some of the assumptions about beauty.

However, I think what may also be involved is the current format of the description texts. They list a lot of details in a big block, and some of the markers get repeated quite often. I found the frequent appearance of "somewhat" slightly annoying myself. So, it may be more a problem of interface design/presentation rather than actual beauty/lack of beauty.

Deathworks

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2010, 01:37:43 am »

Yup. Toady mentioned that we were essentially going to be able to "hijack" a preexisting person and play as them during adventure mode. I was, however, stating a preference, since currently appearance appears to run to the extremes (also because I have no idea how to mod things in 2010).

Someone (G-Flex, I think) mentioned that part of the reason adventurers seem so unattractive is that each individual feature is being mentioned one by one, rather than taken as a whole.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."
Pages: 1 2 [3]