Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Draft complaints, un-drafting people  (Read 1588 times)

Frugal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Draft complaints, un-drafting people
« on: November 18, 2006, 01:08:00 am »

I noticed that if you draft a skilled dwarf, they'll have a negative thought about the draft.  Yet, if you boot them back out immediately, the negative thought remains.

I think that should be different.  Add a positive thought for returning to their desired state, or something.

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Draft complaints, un-drafting people
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2006, 03:28:00 am »

perhaps a "smaller" happy thought than the negative.

Frugal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2006, 04:15:00 am »

Hey, I just noticed that this only applies to drafting workers into the Fortress Guard.  If you activate a civilian squad, then later deactivate them, they don't have any negative thoughts associated with the experience.

Is this only applicable during a siege, though?

qalnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2006, 10:45:00 am »

Hm, dwarves I think gain a happy thought when joining the guard and an unhappy one when being thrown out. Your dwarves have no messages about this at all?

Chthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2006, 11:16:00 am »

I've had a trapper get very very pissed about getting drafted into a squad to fight off a couple lizardmen.  To combat this I released him from the draft and watched him mope about for the better part of a year, not doing much and tantruming once a season (usually in the middle of a hunt.)  Also, he stopped using a bed to sleep, even though I had 50% more beds than dwarves, and would get angry at having to sleep under the stars (which he chose to do)  He eventually cheered up and started using a bed after about 5 seasons.  Is this normal?
''d be perfect if I weren''t so arrogant.

Angela Christine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2006, 01:31:00 pm »

Once he's in the military he should stay in for a while, especially if he is unhappy.  Those idiots in the military full time are perpetually ecstatic.  Leave him in the military, but put him off duty.  A season of nothing but eating, drinking, sleeping and sparring usually perks them right up.  

Setting him to use a melee weapon or unarmed might help too, dwarfs get happy thoughts from satisfying sparring sessions, but marksdwarfs don't seem to get happy thoughts from practicing at the range.  I usually keep unhappy soldiers unarmed, they are just as happy to practice wrestling as to practice swordplay.  And if he does have a tantrum or go berserk, it's really better for everyone if he is unarmed.

Maximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2006, 06:04:00 pm »

The specific thoughts are:

"Unhappy about the draft" -- only happens when a dwarf has no fighting skills.  I think having even Dabbling Wrestler will prevent this.

"Unhappy about being relieved" -- when soldiers that have no work skills get turned into civilians.

"Honored to join the Guard" -- only when you put a dwarf in the fortress or royal guard.   If they have no military skills, you'll get the "draft" message as well.  If you then remove them from the Guard, you'll get, "Upset about being expelled from the Guard".

Chthon -- had your economy started yet?  The only time I see dwarves not use available beds is when they can't afford them.  (If there's a barracks, they'll go there instead.)  But maybe the tantruming interfered in your case.

Chthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2006, 07:02:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Maximus:
<STRONG>The specific thoughts are:

"Unhappy about the draft" -- only happens when a dwarf has no fighting skills.  I think having even Dabbling Wrestler will prevent this.

"Unhappy about being relieved" -- when soldiers that have no work skills get turned into civilians.

"Honored to join the Guard" -- only when you put a dwarf in the fortress or royal guard.   If they have no military skills, you'll get the "draft" message as well.  If you then remove them from the Guard, you'll get, "Upset about being expelled from the Guard".

Chthon -- had your economy started yet?  The only time I see dwarves not use available beds is when they can't afford them.  (If there's a barracks, they'll go there instead.)  But maybe the tantruming interfered in your case.</STRONG>

Nope, I only just got the economy started last night.  I still have 60 beds assigned as barracks, so the dwarves should use them, but don't.  However, I have yet to see a single coin get paid out yet even though I have 30,000 silver, and am working on a 5 stacks of copper mandate.

''d be perfect if I weren''t so arrogant.