Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Consolidate these forums  (Read 1147 times)

DDouble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Consolidate these forums
« on: November 17, 2006, 03:22:00 pm »

There's no need for a "Gameplay questions" forum and a "Dwarf mode discussion" one and a "General discussion" all separate. I think the forums would be easier to navigate if the number were cut down to 4: Announcments, Bugs, Suggestions, and General/Gameplay discussion.

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Consolidate these forums
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 03:27:00 pm »

Yeah, I think I agree with that.  There aren't enough posts on this site to warrant having this many divisions.  Once popularity increases, they could be divided more.

All of these:

DF Gameplay Questions
DF Dwarf Mode Discussion
DF Adventure Mode Discussion
DF General Discussion

Can be made into:

DF General Discussion

[ November 17, 2006: Message edited by: lumin ]

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 03:32:00 pm »

Agreed. There used to be just one forum and that seemed find to me. I could still see reason for seperate Bug and Suggestion forums. Gameplay and Discussion are kind of redundant though.

Maximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 07:28:00 pm »

I'd like to see the Adventure Mode forum kept separate; discussions in there don't apply to dwarf mode game mechanics and vice-versa.  But General Discussion and Dwarf Mode discussions have completely overlapped.

dav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 09:12:00 pm »

I like the different forums, but it should be easier to search all of them together.  Dwarf mode and general discussion are the only ones I think might be combined.

SnowWhite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2006, 12:49:00 am »

I disagree.  I like having "gameplay questions", "discussion", and "suggestions" all separate.
quot;...we literally tore a hole in the mountain, and slept in the mud for THREE YEARS while we waited for these tower caps to grow, and you come dancing in here, clutching your grass and berries like you''re Armok''s Sodding Gift To Dwarves, and tell us

qalnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2006, 11:00:00 am »

I would personally like to see Dwarf Mode merged with General discussion, but that would be it.

Gameplay questions I think is pretty necessary to maintain as long as people refuse to check the Wiki first before asking questions.

If there were only as many questions as are unanswered by the Wiki I might personally like to see it also get merged. But as it stands, I don't think anyone wants to see 'HOW DO I BUILD A FARM PLZ FLOODS OMG' in any other forum.

The adventure mode one is an open question. That forum doesn't get much traffic, and yet it is out of the mainstream since I don't think that's where anyone spends most of their time in the game.

I tend to lean towards leaving that one open, but that's just me, I can see arguments in the other direction as well.

Maximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2006, 05:21:00 pm »

The wiki's still far from perfect, and there's stuff constantly changing in the game that the wiki can't keep up with.

However, a more prominent link to the wiki would be helpful.  Maybe between "faq" and "forum home", above.

DDouble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2006, 09:28:00 pm »

The wiki is huge and growing fast (check out the "recent changes" each day) so I think it should def. have a more prominent link.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2006, 12:41:00 am »

My vote falls in the "you gotta keep them seperated" hat.

Citizen of Erl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2006, 04:48:00 am »

I see no need for all the seperation, myself. But then again, I recall when everything was pretty much just a couple general-esque forums.

Either way I'm happy, but I think a little remerging would help.