Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Erk's small 0.31 farming mod (rough copy in new posts)  (Read 2291 times)

Corinthius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Erk's small 0.31 farming mod (in devel)
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2010, 05:27:21 pm »

I'm interested!

Harmonica

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2010, 08:16:01 pm »

I'm interested, definitely. Mostly in the sawmill and how you're getting that working (it's an idea that occurred to me but I don't know how to mod for DF). Maybe it's just too much Settlers back in the day, but it seems to me that one should be made and it should produce 'planks' or 'cut timber' rather than blocks as the game currently produces. (they function as blocks but are referred to as planks... if that's possible)

Also, 'farming' trees is something I think *could* be in the game, although it's quite elven seeming and maybe not something every dwarf would be happy with!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 08:25:45 pm by Harmonica »

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2010, 08:01:10 am »

I'm interested, definitely. Mostly in the sawmill and how you're getting that working (it's an idea that occurred to me but I don't know how to mod for DF). Maybe it's just too much Settlers back in the day, but it seems to me that one should be made and it should produce 'planks' or 'cut timber' rather than blocks as the game currently produces. (they function as blocks but are referred to as planks... if that's possible)

Also, 'farming' trees is something I think *could* be in the game, although it's quite elven seeming and maybe not something every dwarf would be happy with!
It's not as exciting as all that. Presently the processed wood is still called a "log". I hope to fix that but I'm not certain it's doable.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2010, 10:40:37 am »

OK, it's taking me a while to get around to testing everything, so I will post what I have so far. I'd love to get some feedback, this is the first mod I haven't just done for myself.

This is still rough. I haven't had much time to test everything. Let me know if there are typos, or if I made any mistakes like making minaret caps take impossibly long to grow.

Plant_standard.txt - rewritten for growth times and with the new wood plants included. I did not include the plant files for the trees, which I haven't changed, so make sure not to delete those when you replace the plant files.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

More in next post...

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2010, 10:41:01 am »

Add to building_custom.txt

Add to reaction_other.txt:

And finally, add to ENTITY:MOUNTAIN under entity_default.txt:

Ampoliros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Erk's small 0.31 farming mod (rough copy in new posts)
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2010, 04:41:31 pm »

had a chance to try it out. Had no trouble getting the sawmill built, although as a minor tweak the second stone required for construction is somewhat extraneous, as the game can use the same block used for the first part to fulfill the need (i suppose it works the same as smelting steel, the coal functions as both fuel and consumed as part of the reaction)

had trouble getting the reaction to work...evidently the game doesn't like the reagents being in barrels to determine whether the reaction is available or not. Got the things out and processing, and they didn't produce any seeds when processed, so i tried to tweak everything to get it working again...didn't seem to have any success so far

also, the growth rate is decent, but they still grow in fairly large stacks of 3-5, meaning even a fairly small plot can net you ridiculous numbers of logs at once.

I may have also had problems with the labors required to build the sawmill, but i've been trying to re-edit the raws for a bit to get the reaction working so i may have screwed them up slightly :)

edit: figured out the seeds issue; in reaction_other, the first 'seed' under products has to be 'seeds' (in all four lines). so, apart from balance issues, that part seems to work fine, although the bamboo logs are a pretty weird shade of green  ;D
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 05:15:01 pm by Ampoliros »

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2010, 09:37:39 pm »

had a chance to try it out. Had no trouble getting the sawmill built, although as a minor tweak the second stone required for construction is somewhat extraneous, as the game can use the same block used for the first part to fulfill the need (i suppose it works the same as smelting steel, the coal functions as both fuel and consumed as part of the reaction)

That's very curious, as this is no longer the case in 0.31. When I was making pig iron or steel at a non-magma smelter, there were two bars of coke brought to the smelter to do so.

Clarification: I'm not saying that what you say about the sawmill is wrong(I haven't had the chance to test this mod) - just that the smelter's use of coal has been changed to no longer allow one coke to stand for two things. (I'm not sure how this works for smelting billon with tetrahedrite - every time I've thought to check, I've also had other ores of copper and/or silver around, so didn't bother testing as the results wouldn't be reliable unless I knew the tetrahedrite was brought in first. In 40d, one unit of tetrahedrite ore would suffice for two bars of billon, as it counted as both "ore of copper" and "ore of silver"; I don't know if it's still that way in 0.31.)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 09:40:18 pm by Shurhaian »
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

Ampoliros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2010, 06:38:27 am »

That's very curious, as this is no longer the case in 0.31. When I was making pig iron or steel at a non-magma smelter, there were two bars of coke brought to the smelter to do so.

Clarification: I'm not saying that what you say about the sawmill is wrong(I haven't had the chance to test this mod) - just that the smelter's use of coal has been changed to no longer allow one coke to stand for two things. (I'm not sure how this works for smelting billon with tetrahedrite - every time I've thought to check, I've also had other ores of copper and/or silver around, so didn't bother testing as the results wouldn't be reliable unless I knew the tetrahedrite was brought in first. In 40d, one unit of tetrahedrite ore would suffice for two bars of billon, as it counted as both "ore of copper" and "ore of silver"; I don't know if it's still that way in 0.31.)

huh. I was doing some smelting yesterday and I had thought I was only using one coal at a non-magma smelter. Regardless, it's a weird situation; the game asks you for four things for the sawmill; a mechanism, a sawblade, a rock block, and a generic economic stone. The weirdness is that you can select the same item for the last two and it'll still build fine.

anyhow, having pondered mod balance on the overnight, I would probably suggest (and i'll self-mod to check it out) that:
-reduce the growdur to normal levels, or perhaps even faster
-the production reaction requires 5, 10 or even 20 plants to convert to one log
-reduce the value of the wood; i know there's not much room as trees have a value of 3, but still

the idea: the plants become a very safe but labor-intensive way of producing a small, steadyish stream of low-quality logs suitable for conversion to wood byproducts (ash, charcoal, etc) or cheap dwarven furniture. chopping down logs will presumably be necessary for lots of furniture and otherwise, so you'll still have reason to escape your fortress and hack down trees or set up a tower-cap farm.
Pages: 1 [2]