Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fun with burrows (yes, fun)  (Read 971 times)

TigerPlushie

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_DRAMA]
    • View Profile
Fun with burrows (yes, fun)
« on: April 08, 2010, 10:16:41 am »

I was just going through the things one could achieve with burrows in my mind. Naturally standard things like generating restricted living areas for higher/lower dwarves, chambers of crafts for elite crafters, safe shelters for attacks... all of that is nice and all... but I was thinking about different things...

Now, that you can actually squeeze ALL your dwarves in a tight spot, you can actually create valid game-over levers. Gigantic cave in? magma drop, collective drowning chamber, etc. And all of this on a very limited space!

...also, how about a retracting drawbridge over a corridor enemies have to pass... you station all your military up there and, as soon as the enemies are in the middle of the corridor retract the drawbridge! AMBUSH! (gameplay-wise probably terrible... but fun!)

...also, by creating a 1x1 burrow... you could technically assign a noble to it and wall him/her in on this very 1x1 spot. Sounda kind of nice, he is still in there struggling while the other dwarfs are doing their business as usual... maybe his scratching and howling can be heard at night... who knows...

All the things you can do...

classy
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 10:18:54 am by TigerPlushie »
Dwarf cancelled making adamantium short sword: Strange mood.
Dwarf has entered a marital trance!
Dwarf has claimed a bedroom.

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
Re: Fun with burrows (yes, fun)
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 10:19:05 am »

It took a week since release of burrows in new version until someone found a way to twist their purpose into tools of doom and execution. Bravo!
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

(Warning: Do not ask about the manufacturing process for gecko sauce)
(Warning: Gecko sauce may cause acute respiratory failure on contact)

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 10:48:31 am »

Burrows are, indeed, even more abusive than meeting zones could ever have hoped to be.  The Fun potential they offer up is immeasurably huge.  I'm already envisioning the Noble Layer, each with their own burrow, deep within the magma sea.  Each one's domain would be segregated, and protected from the magma with a series of Bauxite floodgates linked to levers in the Commoner Layer for rapid and easy disposal of unwanted nobles.  Mmm, Noble roasts...
Sanity is for the weak.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 11:35:46 am »

Burrows are, indeed, even more abusive than meeting zones could ever have hoped to be.  The Fun potential they offer up is immeasurably huge.  I'm already envisioning the Noble Layer, each with their own burrow, deep within the magma sea.  Each one's domain would be segregated, and protected from the magma with a series of Bauxite floodgates linked to levers in the Commoner Layer for rapid and easy disposal of unwanted nobles.  Mmm, Noble roasts...

Even easier, just create a burrow that is normally empty, except for annoying nobles. In that burrow have only a drawbridge on repeat, or a retracting bridge on repeat over a magma pit.

You can either use a repeater, or just a lever on repeat pull. I use my philosopher for this purposes. His only job is to pull the various garbage disposal levers around my fortress, and he is the only one able to pull those levers. Philosophers are awesome for this.

When nobles arrive, assign the nobles to their very own noble burrow.

Remember, those bridges are still on repeat!

They will happily wander off to their room, admire a completely sublime bridge, and then plummet to their doom. As there will be nothing to clean up there is absolutely no risk of more useful dwarves being accidentally caught by the noble eating burrow.

napancux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 11:45:27 am »

On a side note. Why do you need workshop profiles (and manager) now, if one can easily restrict acces to workshops with burrows?  :-\
There's no choice. Only will.

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 12:15:28 pm »

...also, by creating a 1x1 burrow... you could technically assign a noble to it and wall him/her in on this very 1x1 spot. Sounda kind of nice, he is still in there struggling while the other dwarfs are doing their business as usual... maybe his scratching and howling can be heard at night... who knows...
"For the love of GodArmok, MontresorUrist!"
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 12:16:04 pm »

On a side note. Why do you need workshop profiles (and manager) now, if one can easily restrict acces to workshops with burrows?  :-\
I use them to gate activities, like having a mason's workshop on make blocks /r with a mason skill level cap of Adequate or Competent, and then a shop that makes doors and things /r with a min of Competent and a max of, say, Proficient, and then a shop that makes statues and other decorative items with a very high minimum level. Keeps the quality levels sorted.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.