Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Economy Made Worse?  (Read 2360 times)

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Economy Made Worse?
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2010, 02:27:41 am »

I can imagine that when Toady dedicates a release to the economy or economy related stuff he will most likely make at least part of it modifiable in the raws. I believe this simply because with every new release there seems to be alot more things for modders to play with WITHOUT compromising the base code that Toady doesn't want to give out (and I sure as hell don't blame him)

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2010, 02:29:54 am »

And has no interest in doing so in the future. Should he ever *stamp stamp spit spit turn around three times* stop working on the project, its even then a decision for him to make. I imagine he'd be magmanious </pun> enough to do so, however.

But in general I think the problem with the economy is the incredibly low value to coins. 1* copper, 5* silver, 15* gold? Historically speaking, greek currency ran 1* copper, 100* silver, 2000* gold! Higher currency values would reduce the amount of coins needed to complete transations, which would likely cut down on clutter. Maybe a 5* bronze piece and a 50* billion and a 500* electrum.

And yes, you can mod currency values in the raws. I'm currently on the 1 100 2000 scheme. Curiously my gold coins come out in stacks of 500 now. How many coins do you guys make in a stack anymore?
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2010, 02:37:31 am »

I actually haven't made any coins...and to be honest I have only dabbled with the new version on a basic level.

The main reason that the economy is broken is largely not the economy itself...but rather the fact that before long you have almost every coin you made scattered everywhere.

As for the economy itself I believe I read (applying to 40d) that it was not fully balanced (although functional) and as such led to certain behaviors for dwarfs in certain jobs...most notably exempt people hoarding everything and some dwarfs never making enough money to actually own anything hardly

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2010, 03:20:34 am »

No.

If Code.public = false then
     Heart = broken
Else
     Program(Dwarf fortress, mod)
End if

Diarrhea Ferret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2010, 04:25:45 am »

Well said. The reason he doesn't, I think, is because people could just nick Dwarf Fortress and say that it's their own, as I don't think DF has copy protection...
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.
YOU MUST ADD THE ABOVE QUOTE INTO YOUR SIGNATURE, RIGHT NOW.
Pages: 1 [2]