Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Suggestion for making hunting more viable  (Read 1526 times)

Riemann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Suggestion for making hunting more viable
« on: November 16, 2006, 06:33:00 pm »

I know there are several factors involved here: the AI of the hunters, pathfinding etc... But it occured to me that one relatively simple change might make the task far better than it is now while the more extensive changes are still under construction.

There already seem to be different jobs involved in hunting: killin' stuff and dragging back the corpses. If those two were split into separate entries in the labor menu I think it would make hunting far more productive.

Right now I find that my hunter will kill several creatures then only bring back one corpse before going out killing again. If there was a separate dwarf whose job was to bring in the kills at least so much meaty goodness wouldn't go to waste.

Of course it can sort of be done now by turning on refuse gathering outside, but that also picks up all kinds of stuff besides butcherable corpses: bones, rotten stuff, skulls etc...

Basicially, if there was a job which looked for butcherable corpses, picked them up and brought them to the nearest butcher's workshop (or refuse pile that accepts them if there are no workshops) I think it would make hunting a much more viable option. And it certainly wouldn't preclude any further improvments to hunting down the road.

Pesty13480

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestion for making hunting more viable
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 11:59:00 am »

I don't know about you, but I don't even bother with the trapper class - I just use my military for hunting purposes and let the peasants drag the meat into the fortress for later consumption.

Sure, it isn't automated. Quick exp for your killers, though.

Fleeb

• Bay Watcher
  • The Fleebiest
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 12:30:00 pm »

That's what I've been doing also. Any trapper immigrants are drafted right away.
"If you push something hard enough, it will fall over" -Fudds First Law of Opposition
"If it goes in, it must come out" -Teslicles Deviant to Fudds Law

karnot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 12:50:00 pm »

quote:
If there was a separate dwarf whose job was to bring in the kills at least so much meaty goodness wouldn't go to waste.  

Technically it should be Hunting Dog's job, unless the hunter dropped an elephant or something.

Riemann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 02:08:00 pm »

It's the "et the peasants drag the meat into the fortress" part that I have trouble with right now. Is there any way to do with without turning on gathering of refuse outside?

My problem is that on a lot of maps (at least ones that aren't stupid easy) you don't control the entire outside until very late in the game.  Turning on refuse gathering inevitably leads to hordes of peasants wandering into Gorilla armies in an attempt to pick up some bones in the far corner of the map.

Pesty13480

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2006, 06:04:00 pm »

I typically arm my peasants with a handful of wardogs each so that they can go out there and do their thing in relative peace - which in turn ends up with them having to haul even more meat back inside.

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2006, 06:47:00 pm »

It's a good idea. If you have a fisherdwarf and a fishcleaner, why not a hunter and a retriever? (Maybe bringing the corpses back could be the butchers job?)

Or heck, why not make that something hunting dogs do? It'd be nice if they were noticably different from war dogs in some way, even if their price has to be adjusted a little for balance.

[ November 17, 2006: Message edited by: Solara ]

dav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2006, 09:14:00 pm »

Hard for me to imagine a dog hauling back anything larger than a duck/raccoon.  Many men can't haul back their buck.  For foxes and coons, it would be a nice bonus, but dwarves are going to have to haul back the deer and bears.

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2006, 09:47:00 pm »

Kinda hard to imagine a dwarf hauling back a deer or a bear either...  ;)

dav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2006, 10:31:00 pm »

Good point.  Hunting sleds were used traditionally in some parts of the world.  Probably best on snow, it would make it easier to haul back kills.  Dwarves, dogs, or mules could be used to pull.  

Or backpacks?  Some butchery could take place in the field - legs, skin, torso - that then need to be divided further.  

The hunter would need several trips, but that's not out of line for a big animal.

Pacho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2006, 11:47:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Solara:
<STRONG>Kinda hard to imagine a dwarf hauling back a deer or a bear either...   ;)</STRONG>

Dwarves are really really strong.  Can't you see them drag those bins full of metal and gems with a weight of 2000?!  What they lack is intelligence!

Chthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2006, 10:58:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Pacho:
<STRONG>

Dwarves are really really strong.  Can't you see them drag those bins full of metal and gems with a weight of 2000?!  What they lack is intelligence!</STRONG>

I must concur.... NOo!  Wait, don't open that door!  The room is full of wa*glug* *glug* *glug*

Edit: Btw, the door opens inward, that proves the strength  ;)

[ November 18, 2006: Message edited by: Chthon ]

''d be perfect if I weren''t so arrogant.