Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Make other large mammals milkable.  (Read 4745 times)

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Make other large mammals milkable.
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2010, 10:18:06 am »

Second, naked mole dogs are based off of naked mole rats, where most of the females don't even get pregnant.  No pregnancy, no child, no milk.  At least not in a wild animal.

But just imagine if you captured the QUEEN MOLE DOG.  The one mole dog that can produce milk.  Imagine how precious that milk would be.  :)=

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2010, 01:05:05 pm »

The vegetarian quip just referred to them acting high and mighty about not eating meat, seemingly ignorant to the fact that their precious milk is the result of the tears of baby calves. Don't get me wrong, that's what makes the milk so delicious but vegetarianism ends up falling flat when it comes to preaching morality. Opting for just a little bit of torture really isn't all that commendable.

Nah, the real problem is that they're basically plant-hating Nazis.  Vegans take the "master race" thing even further.  Plants are less similar to humans than animals and thus easier to dehumanize.  Doesn't change the fact that plants are alive, and even feel "pain" in that they react to tissue damage, and they can even communicate with each other.  The smell that grass makes when you mow it is the grass producing poison to try and defend themselves from grazing animals, and also signalling other blades of grass to make poison before they get eaten.  On a day with a favorable light wind, the "rallying cry" can spread across an entire large lawn after only a small portion is cut.  Also why grazing animals tend to move upwind as they eat.

So people who enjoy that smell are actually up there with people who enjoy the sound of children screaming.  It's very different from the suffering we and other vertebrates experience, but experiencing reality differently does not make one life less valid or valuable than another.

Oh, also, milk from different species tends to taste different.  Elephant milk may be commercially infeasible because it tastes horrible.  No idea if it does or not, but it may.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 01:09:45 pm by Arrkhal »
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2010, 01:22:14 pm »

Wait what? I was told that milking would not be fixed in this version? So you can actually milk cows now? Not just purring maggots?
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2010, 03:00:50 pm »

Yeah, milking is fixed (well, mostly...).  You can now queue up a "milk animal" task at the local farmer's workshop, and a milker will rush out with a barrel to milk the nearest camel, cow, horse or donkey.

Yes, horses and donkeys can be milked.  I'm really not sure what he was thinking when he added that in, and I'm really not sure that I want to know.

Then again, I've never heard of "camel cheese", so I guess it fits in about as well as anything else...

I'm a, I think its something like petisarian? Or pestisarian? One who eats seafood as their source of meat (no red meat or birds). I find milk makes me sick so I drink rice milk or soya milk.

Pescetarian.  I'm one, and so is Fox Mulder (well, David Duchovny...).  I used to be lactose intolerant, but I guess I "grew out" of it...  I still avoid cow dairy though.  Old habits, combined with memories of an old report disproving all the health-hype surrounding cow's milk.

...that, plus I just think that cow and sheep cheese taste better.
Pages: 1 [2]