Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Collect spider silk designation  (Read 456 times)

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Collect spider silk designation
« on: April 07, 2010, 07:36:31 am »

It was annoying in the previous version, but with the sprawling caverns it has become acute. Dwarves ignore entire swathes of spider silk right in front of the gate to the underworld, instead preferring a web three caves further and deeper... with all the Fun that implies.

Solution: a "collect spider silk" designation, or include that function in the "harvest plants" designation.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Mortesphere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Collect spider silk designation
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 07:38:14 am »

Build a loom and it will do it automatically.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 07:44:11 am »

Reread his post. He's not having trouble getting dwarves to collect spider silk, he's having trouble getting dwarves to collect the easily-accessible deposits instead of dangerous ones.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 02:08:41 pm »

Agreed this is a valuable suggestion. As a workaround, use a burrow, or wall off caverns you don't want people visiting.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.