Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Undead creatures should lose special attacks  (Read 442 times)

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Undead creatures should lose special attacks
« on: April 13, 2010, 02:52:10 am »

Using the new 0.31.03 "undead-ify arena creatures" feature, I found that zombie and skeletal dragons will breath fire, and zombie giant cave spiders will shoot webs.  I'm not sure if dragons should lose the fire breath in undeath, since it might be considered a magical ability, but cave spiders generating webs is definitely biological, and shouldn't be possible for dead things.

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Undead creatures should lose special attacks
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 03:03:49 am »

Who are we to say how zombie biology work?

Bear in mind that we just updated from a version that allowed skeletal whales to crawl centipede-style over dry land using their ribcage as legs.
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 04:28:36 am »

You lost me around the part you said it was biologically implausible for dead things that can still shamble around to produce web.

Skeletal enemies should lose such abilities, yes. In fact, I think they should lose their flying ability if it's tied to wings. But zombies, I see no reason why they couldn't still produce web or fire if they have the glands in place.

NinjaE8825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 07:03:01 am »

I think the most elegant solution would be to attach special abilities to bodyparts, like [ STANCE ] and legs already are.
That way, a skeletal dragon won't be able to breathe fire because it has no lungs, and likewise with a zombie GDS whose poison sacs have rotted off.