Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best way to keep several similar stockpiles supplied?  (Read 663 times)

rucksackjack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Best way to keep several similar stockpiles supplied?
« on: April 07, 2010, 04:27:07 pm »

I was hoping that the new version would do something about the "can't have more than one stockpile drawing from a given stockpile" thing, but alas, it seems not.

However, the burrow system has made me determined to design an awesome decentralized living system in which each workshop has its own input stockpile (e.g. a small wood stockpile by each carpenter's workshop, etc.), and I'm not sure what would be the best way to keep them all well-supplied.

Obviously, I can assign a loop in which stockpile A draws from stockpile B, stockpile B draws from stockpile C, and stockpile C draws from stockpile A. But this seems like it would just cause my dwarves to perpetually run around moving stuff needlessly between the stockpiles, which seems undesirable.

Is there a better way of doing this? I've never tried this sort of thing at all, so most any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
Re: Best way to keep several similar stockpiles supplied?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 05:42:23 pm »

I think at a point, keeping lots of small stockpiles supplied isn't going to work.

Eventually, your carpenters/whatever are going to get skilled to the point where they work faster than than your haulers can supply them (depending on how large the stockpile is, say 3x3) and the distance to the wood.

However, if you set up the loop system, will they still needlessly transfer items from a full stockpile to a full stockpile? Once you get them all loaded up it might work with enough efficiency.

I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.