Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: 2010 idea dumpster.  (Read 4911 times)

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: 2010 idea dumpster.
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2010, 09:37:52 pm »

Is it possible to make a unit or perhaps mined rock using the boiling_point trick that when tripped blows up? I'm wanting a large flame cloud / vapor cloud expanding for many levels that wipes out any thing caught in the blast radius but haven't been able to find out how to make it. It can be RP'd numerous ways depending on how it could be implemented...

The closest you would get to that is a good old-fashioned cave-in.  Inorganic gas clouds aren't triggerable or very big, so they don't really fit your criteria.
Also known as Zuhayr.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2010, 09:40:52 pm »

I'm making a Kindom of Loathing total conversion mod. Creatures finished so far include
  • Ninety-Nine Bottles of Beer on a Golem
  • Sabre-Toothed Lime
  • Slimes
  • Mayonnaise Wasp
  • Dodecapede
  • Guy Made of Bees
I've got a tentative list of nearly 300 creatures planned. And of course there'll be the races, like the 7-Foot Dwarves, the Filthy Hippies, and the dreaded Penguin Mafia. Unfortunately, what with the ability to control what races have access to what metals in the current version of DF diminished from the last few, I might have to wait a little while for certain things to be implemented.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2010, 10:32:25 pm »

Vermin can be generated via a reaction.
Vermin can bite and deliver a poison.
There is no upper limit to how many vermin you can spawn.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

A Dwarven Smokeologist

• Bay Watcher
  • Shortcut to Mushrooms
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2010, 10:54:15 pm »

I'm still brainstorming on how to simulate or fake that idea for a gigantic explosion so this might be more crazy talk. But would it be possible then to create a vermin type that is extremely hot, extremely fast, and dies after only a few turns? That way when the reaction happened a massive wave of heat would move out from there even if it wasn't uniform. Can vermin bleed or ooze? Maybe have them leave a trail of magma just to be sure? :P

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2010, 10:59:07 pm »

I'm still brainstorming on how to simulate or fake that idea for a gigantic explosion so this might be more crazy talk. But would it be possible then to create a vermin type that is extremely hot, extremely fast, and dies after only a few turns? That way when the reaction happened a massive wave of heat would move out from there even if it wasn't uniform. Can vermin bleed or ooze? Maybe have them leave a trail of magma just to be sure? :P

The vermin would probably die instantly if they died at all, making a proper spread face the same difficulties as the boiling-stone method. However, if vermin can be made to leave a poisonous secretion all over the place, we could see some fun things happening...

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2010, 11:06:27 pm »

Custom reactions can have a product that's only triggered after the reaction completes a certain number of times, right?  It might be interesting to have an otherwise beneficial reaction that lets loose a poison spewing vermin every five times, or a reaction that generates a poisonous vermin each time with a hugely beneficial product if you run it enough.

Edit: Like some kind of flavor-breaking mod that lets you make depleted uranium bars for weapons out of pitchblende, but lets loose 'rad rats' that slowly give all your dwarves radiation poisoning.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 11:08:51 pm by JoRo »
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2010, 11:13:51 pm »

Custom reactions can have a product that's only triggered after the reaction completes a certain number of times, right?  It might be interesting to have an otherwise beneficial reaction that lets loose a poison spewing vermin every five times, or a reaction that generates a poisonous vermin each time with a hugely beneficial product if you run it enough.

Edit: Like some kind of flavor-breaking mod that lets you make depleted uranium bars for weapons out of pitchblende, but lets loose 'rad rats' that slowly give all your dwarves radiation poisoning.

That'd actually be the chance-proc, it's not cumulative. So having an accidental plague result from a reaction could be a nice gambling element to add risk.

The only problem with simulating effects by way of vermin is the possibility of a "Dwarf was bitten by vermin!" message, which would certainly kill the flavor.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2010, 11:46:39 pm »

Custom workshops can require specific items to be built. Custom reactions can produce any item. The chance of a reaction generating an item can be modified, even down to the point of extremely low likelihood. Put this all together, and you've got research stations and a tech tree. In fact, I think I'll make a post apocalypse mod. Call it "DF: Postcrash" or something. Most people live in caves, with a few raiders on the surface. You lead an ambitious project to rebuild civilization from the ground up. As your fortress prospers, others become aware of it. Migrants from the caves come looking for a place to stay, while raiders begin to see you as a great big target carved into the mountainside. All the while, your researchers demand rare minerals from deep within the mountain to preform tests upon. But in order to reach them, you must deal with the denizens of the depths. Horrid things that were once humans in various stages of mutation, insane former cave dwellers who have lost their way, and all myriad things for which humanity has no names, or whose names we have chosen to forget.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Huggz

• Bay Watcher
  • Sherlock Wayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2010, 07:23:43 am »

Also can someone explain to me step by step how to mod a rock so that it can burn like lignite blocks but will release poisonous gas? Or if it isnt possible to continually burn, how to just make it vaporise and release toxic gas?

To make it vaporise, just give the material a BOILING_POINT just under room temperature and a MAT_FIXED_TEMP that ensures it's always above that boiling point.  Then slap a SYNDROME onto it, and voila, explosive poisonous gas.
[/quote]

But would it work if I put it's boiling point just under the temperature of magma? And is it possible ot make it so that it catches fie and 'smokes' poisonous gas rather than just instantly vaporising? Im thinking like wood burns currently, but releasing poison gas rather than smoke.
Proper English will make people take you more serious.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.
Pages: 1 [2]