Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven terraforming  (Read 373 times)

doomlichen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven terraforming
« on: December 16, 2007, 05:53:00 am »

Guess this is more of an issue later on once simultaneous fortresses in the same world is implemented, but it would be cool if through overlapping fortresses building a massive road network you can embark deeper and deeper into the mountains/ocean.

Maybe if you're really zealous about mining, you can turn a mountain into a hill or plains. Just a thought.

HOTMACHINA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven terraforming
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 09:05:00 am »

Just to add further to this because it shares a theme, what about a class of explorer that allows you to speculate about the layers below for a fee of some kind, i.e you place a marker that you want a geologist to examine and it removes (to within the skill of the character) the "fog of war" for the layers below said target.

Or would that spoil the fun of digging?

Hmmm...

Captain Failmore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://chairangaem.blogspot.com
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 10:12:00 am »

About Roads:

I wish there was a way to do it, since mountain ranges are virtually useless right now. Maybe it could be made so if you're going to embark into a mountain, you'll be limited to just mules instead of a wagon, limiting the amount of supplies you can carry in exchange for being able to travel deep into a mountain range like a proper dwarf. I can't help but think that having 40+ Z-slices would be murder on the game though, unless you're just settling a mountaintop...

About Prospecting:

We're already given hints about what the soil and rock in a particular area might contain, though. Most minerals only occur in a specific kind of rock or rock-layer. We're told what rock and soil layers exist in a zone that's about to be settled before embarking. If you see peat and sedimentary rock, it's safe to assume you're going to dig into some coal and maybe some limonite or something, for example. If you study the mineral tables on the Dwarf Fortress wiki, you can get an idea as to what occurs where and what your chances of prosperity are.

That, or you can take the easy route and always settle on a named volcano. I've yet to settle on one that didn't have gemstones and native metals sticking out in the open in generous quantities.

Seriously though, if prospecting is added it should give only a very rough and equally unreliable assessment of the total worth of the land about to be settled, like a mildly educated guess. Personally, I could live without it.

A HREF="http://chairangaem.blogspot.com">LOLCHAIR ADVENTURES

Pyro93735

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 04:29:00 pm »

Well, as far as FPS lag goes with 40+ z-slices, I'm currently sitting on 85 z-levels and it's running fine. I've got a 5x5 area from the embark screen and a 1.7ghz processor.

I don't know... I mean, it's solid rock. Can the prospector walk through walls? From the surface, you can do some speculation to perhaps what's down a few levels, or maybe take some core samples or something like that to figure out what's a few levels down in a small line, but revealing an entire z-level seems sketchy.

Ixen-bay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 05:45:00 pm »

I think a prospector, if added, should give the ability to add or subtract border tiles from the map or z-levels.  "no more usable ore here, lets ditch this eastern border and expand the western.

this would also add the possibility of a 'dwarven nomad' nation, which slowly travels around the map strip mining the ground and leaving behind half-finished fortress complexes.