Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bronze Golem - Workable or not?  (Read 1047 times)

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
Bronze Golem - Workable or not?
« on: April 09, 2010, 09:35:51 pm »

I'm creating a sort of bronze golem, that, when captured, can be sold as pets.
The raw data is here:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Will it work? If not, could you help a little bit?
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Bronze Golem - Workable or not?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 10:03:40 pm »

The first thing that a modder should do upon creating a new creature, even before posting it in a topic like this, is to start up Arena Mode and check the error log in your DF folder. In this case, the error log shows the following error message:

Code: [Select]
Unrecognized Skill Token: PUNCH
Unrecognized Skill Token: KICK

This is a fairly simple error to fix; merely replacing those tokens in the attack bits with GRASP_STRIKE and STANCE_STRIKE, respectively, should fix it up. After exiting from DF, we clear the error log to reduce clutter and fix those.

Now we start up DF again and return to arena mode to double-check the log. This time, the error log is free of messages, so that's a good start. The error log is a great place to find basic syntax errors like this. It's usually self-explanatory, though there's some situations like this where you may need to get help from the forums.

Aside from that, some other suggestions:

-The creature lacks the LARGE_ROAMING tag. You might want to put that there. This looks like a copy of the bronze colossus with some modifications, so there might be some other important tags you're missing that escape me at the moment.
-Putting a FREQUENCY:n tag on there may or may not be a good idea. Default is 50, can be from 0 to 100, you can put that tag there to make it more or less common than usual.
-BODY_SIZE is a little small. For comparison, dogs are three times as big.
-This creature may be indestructible at the moment due to inherent flaws in the material/tissue/combat overhaul. Not much you can do about that at the moment, aside from removing NOTHOUGHT and adding a brain.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 10:06:15 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 08:17:30 am »

Thanks for the replies, and I'm thinking of adding some intelligence to them later.
Proud of my heritage.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 08:35:51 am »

I've fixed him up and added some things. I'm pretty sure he's good to go now.
Raw Data below:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Proud of my heritage.