Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Zombie Giant Eagle vs. Goblin Lasher -> Framerate Kill!  (Read 711 times)

Fingolfin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Zombie Giant Eagle vs. Goblin Lasher -> Framerate Kill!
« on: April 06, 2010, 10:06:06 am »

Just witnessed the clash of a zombie giant eagle and an goblin ambush consisting of 10 lashers. The goblins immediately started to beat the living hell out of the zombie eagle, which didn't seem to be able to hurt his attackers in any way.

After 10 minutes, the goblins still tried to lash the poor zombie to death, which by then suffered form a number of wounds.
in this time my frame rate dropped from 100 to 70, which i thought would result from the ongoing fight.

Well, the fight went on, 20min, 30min, 40min, while my framerate was dropping to 30fps. When I checked the health of the zombie eagle, he seemed to consist mainly of an bloody pulp of rotten flesh, every bodypart was broken or gone, his wound description filled 3 pages, and his scar description another 2 (how a zombie is forming scar tissue is another interesting question). Yet, he was still alive..

After an hour or so, my game had slowed down to 15 fps, the goblins gave up and went home frustrated.
My game stayed at 15 fps.
So, i send out my only axedwarf, which killed that thing in 4 seconds, and my game speed suddenly jumped  back to 100 fps.

Any ideas how the zombie eagle slowed my system down? Never noticed this in preDF2010.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 10:39:07 am by Fingolfin »

TigerPlushie

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_DRAMA]
    • View Profile
Re: Zombie Giant Eagle vs. Goblin Lasher
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 10:09:04 am »

My best guess is the increase in wound tracking complexity. With more and more wounds being added, it might have eaten up more and more CPU power to keep track of it.

But maybe it was just some unoptimized code cause...
Dwarf cancelled making adamantium short sword: Strange mood.
Dwarf has entered a marital trance!
Dwarf has claimed a bedroom.

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Zombie Giant Eagle vs. Goblin Lasher -> Framerate Kill!
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 11:16:36 am »

You should add this scenario to the bug tracker. It should be fairly easy to reproduce in the arena.
Graphical Overhaul 0.31 DFFD | Bundle |  Thread (beta3)
Raw Patcher DFFD  | Thread (1.0)
Graphical Overhaul 40d DFFD | Bundle
ASCII Tileset 40d DFFD  | Thread (2.0)