Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Other playable civs?  (Read 586 times)

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Other playable civs?
« on: July 22, 2007, 07:22:00 pm »

This would of course be a massive thing, but - purely theoretical - wouldn't it be interesting to be able to play as the other civilizations?

We've all seen their settlements in Adventure Mode, and I know at least I am interested in building a human settlement. It would be a rather different affair from carving it out of a mountain. I imagine there would be a lot more wood construction, not to mention clay...

I also imagine a lot of the code for the dwarven settlements you build can be reused straight off the bat, or adapted.

I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
Re: Other playable civs?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 07:28:00 pm »

And custom modded civs?
Maye some way of telling it what type each is.
Eh?
Eh!

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 08:41:00 pm »

It's on the Dev List. I wish more people would read it before posting here...

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 10:31:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Gaulgath:
<STRONG>It's on the Dev List. I wish more people would read it before posting here...</STRONG>

Maybe if it was more accessible...

The first time I saw it mentioned in a post here I wasn't aware there was one. After searching for some time I managed to find what I am fairly sure was it, but didn't have the time to go through it all to see if what I wanted was posted or not.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 11:51:00 pm »

What do you mean more accessible?  The suggestion forum says "Before posting a suggestion see if it's not already in the dev notes" with a link.   It's also displayed prominently on the main dwarf fortress page.  But unfortunately, you and many others fail to notice this (or simply refuse to check) in their mad rush to be the first to post some awesome idea that is already slated to be implemented.

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 04:33:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Capntastic:
<STRONG>The suggestion forum says "Before posting a suggestion see if it's not already in the dev notes" with a link.</STRONG>

That's not what the link says, but yes, I did see that link, and I followed it, just as I said in my post.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 10:09:00 pm »

I fail to see an appreciable difference between the meanings of  "Before posting a suggestion see if it's not already in the dev notes" and "NOTE: Before you post a massive and complicated plan for improvement, be sure to read Our Development Pages."

But whatever.  You say you've read them anyways.  It would follow, then, that you had come across this tidbit:

"ELF FOREST RETREAT: Yes, elves for the elf people -- but thinking more general, as we list all these racial civilizations, we should think in broad terms and use the civilization definitions to allow any type of civilization to be played. Elves will provide some necessary extra elements for this process. Mixing the cliff dwelling, wilderness dwelling, town building, good vs. evil tendencies into a robust interface for civilization building is a long-term goal. Related to Bloat25. "

Which just leaves me wondering why you either refuse to admit you made a mistake, or why you felt the need to post this 'suggestion' anyways.

I apologize if I seem like I'm coming off harsh; I'm just giving you some good natured ribbing.   The truth is that a lot of the suggestion threads are redundant, and detract attention from ideas that are really keen.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2007, 10:19:00 pm »

My question is, if you make 5 NEW playable races, can you give them a tag saying where they can live?
Eh?
Eh!

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 04:27:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by qwertyuiopas:
<STRONG>My question is, if you make 5 NEW playable races, can you give them a tag saying where they can live?</STRONG>

You will be able to do that.

Bien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007, 09:21:00 am »

Or maybe the humans could dig out of the mountain to get metal and rocks for other stuff.