Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chitin Plates  (Read 775 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Chitin Plates
« on: June 05, 2010, 01:34:13 pm »

So I have been trying out the new creature and body systems now that a mac version is out but there are still a few things about the tissue system that confuse me. Anyway, I'm trying to create a creature that has tissues just like a normal creature (skin, fat, and all the rest), but I want to give the creature two natural shoulder-plates that are completely made of chitin. I added the plates to the body and they are showing up fine but I'm not sure how to get them to be made out of chitin. Could someone please explain how to do this?
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chitin Plates
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 01:57:12 pm »

I'm unfamiliar with who to make the plates be chitin - but you may want to edit your material raws to make chitin stronger - right now its the same strength as skin, you might want to give it the qualities of bone.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 02:01:15 pm »

I've already adjusted the values of chitin so that it is harder than skin. Right now my problem is getting the plates to be made of chitin instead of skin and muscle like the rest of the body.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 02:18:31 pm »

When asking questions like yours it is best if you include your raws in the post.  It makes it much easier for us to help you.

However, something along these lines will work:

body file:
Code: [Select]
[BP:RUA_A:right pauldron:STP][CON:RUA][RIGHT][SMALL][CATEGORY:CHITIN_ARMOR]
[DEFAULT_RELSIZE:200]
[BP:LUA_A:left pauldron:STP][CON:LUA][LEFT][SMALL][CATEGORY:CHITIN_ARMOR]
[DEFAULT_RELSIZE:200]

b_detail_plan:
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:CHITIN_PLAN]
[BP_LAYERS:BY_CATEGORY:CHITIN_ARMOR:CHITIN:1] adjust the value 1 here to make the armor stronger

creature file:
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:CHITIN_PLAN]
Mods I've done:
Zelda mod-mod, Beta in the Wild DF 47.04
Illithid Empire mod DF 31.25 (update canceled)
Spotter's Guide to Illithids (Genesis mod-mod) genesis 3.19a4 (update canceled)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 02:19:56 pm »

Thanks, I was missing the b_detail portion of it. This should do the trick quite nicely.