Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fire!  (Read 687 times)

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fire!
« on: July 22, 2007, 09:22:00 am »

I noticed that you can set trees on fire in Adventure mode and spent many happy hours laying complete waste to the countryside, spreading ruin and desolation with impunity (because people don't seem to react when you start setting fire to their town).

Fire seems absent from Fortress mode though, even though it would pose interesting possibilites and problems. After all, smelters, charcoal makers &c would be generating a lot of smoke, which could pose a major hazard, forcing you to plan some sort of ventilation. (Chimneys, anyone?)

Also, unless dwarves can see in total darkness, fire could provide light, if light and darkness was introduced in Fortress mode.

And finally, fire is a most excellent weapon for besiegers and besieged alike. Because, honestly, goblins on fire has to be one of the most amusing and recreational sights ever for a dwarf.

I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

Kholint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fire!
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 09:36:00 am »

If fire wasn't used for visibility (perhaps dwarves are accustomed to the darkness?), it could always be used to stave off the less mighty creatures. A few flaming torches placed on walls could scare away ratmen and the like!

Gauteamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Ignitur!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 09:53:00 am »

... or large magnifying glasses to scare off the antmen.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 12:44:00 pm »

Fire in fortress mode is in already. However, at the moment it means near certain doom for your fort because dwarves don't care if an item is burning, and they will incenerate themselves by trying to pick it up.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 12:59:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Asehujiko:
<STRONG>Fire in fortress mode is in already. However, at the moment it means near certain doom for your fort because dwarves don't care if an item is burning, and they will incenerate themselves by trying to pick it up.</STRONG>

They will burn to death, then someone will carry their (burning) corpse AND the burning item until death...repeat adnausium.

Chaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mist Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 02:51:00 pm »

Boatmurdered is the prime example...
A lurker has sprung from ambush!

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 04:40:00 pm »

That doesn't mean it can't be fixed, does it, now?

Fire would add a whole new set of difficulties, what with various workshops (and furnaces) putting out smoke that needs to be vented, and adding the risk of the fires getting out of hand. Okay, so fire getting out of hand in a mostly stone fortress isn't that dangerous, but I wager every workshop has at least some flammable items in them (like dwarves) and a fire getting out of hand could destroy at least the workshop it's in.

This would make the fortress guard useful, too, in the capacity of fire watchmen, with the ability to put out fires by chucking a bucket of water on it (something that all dwarves with some sense ought to do), which in turn would make it desirable to keep water handy near potential fire hazards and adding some more fun into the infrastructure.

If light levels and fire as illumination are put in, things can get really complex - and beautiful. Then again, I might be the only one who thinks a large cavern lit by flickering torches and huge blistering furnaces is beautiful in tile graphics. Possibly due to my vivid imagination.

I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2007, 06:58:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by mickel:
<STRONG>That doesn't mean it can't be fixed, does it, now?

</STRONG>

If you read the dev notes, it's pretty clear that fire will eventually be able to do a lot of cool things.   Toady just hasn't gotten around to it yet.