Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Burrows!  (Read 734 times)

Khyron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Burrows!
« on: April 05, 2010, 09:34:07 am »

I'm not so certain I like them.

My first burrow was a tiny little one that I made to force my masons to create a block out of a certain stone. This worked well until I forgot to remove the burrow and the mason nearly starved to death.

The second burrow was a very big one that I made for my forge operators. Since the magma is 150 Z-Levels down, people were getting tired halfway down the stairs and gave up on going down there, so I tried to force the forge operators at the very least to stay there. I made a couple stockpiles down there for food and booze, and they were OK for a while.  Then one of them grabbed a barrel of booze, downed it, and started generating a billion errors about not being able to get to his destination. I un-assigned him from the burrow, and he ran up 150 Z-Levels to put the booze into the main stockpile and not in the one down in his burrow.

Later, I assigned my legendary armorer to a room down in the burrow. This resulted in about TWO billion errors about how whiny he was about not being able to store owned item.

Then a weaponsmith had a fey mood. I had all the materials but he very nearly went insane becasue they weren't in the burrow with him.

I'm not so certain I like the burrows anymore :( But I don't see a better way for my forge dwarves who have to be in excess of 150 tiles away from the rest of my fort =/

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
Re: Burrows!
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 09:49:24 am »

Well, it's the first release after major revisions.  Toady probably will/is refining those.
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

Atanamis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 10:15:21 am »

Yeah, the things you mentioned are definitely bugs. Dwarves should prefer food in their burrow, but leave if they begin to starve. Long term, it should also be possible to make burrows affect only "work" activities, and not eating/sleeping/socializing activities. Selecting a stockpile outside the burrow to put something down is definitely buggy. I'd expect these bugs to get a lot lower priority than the ones that cause crashes though.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 10:38:06 am »

Are you sure your mason didn't just work himslef to starvation? I've had problems with dwarves dying on the job before, without even using burrows

Khyron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 10:53:47 am »

Are you sure your mason didn't just work himslef to starvation? I've had problems with dwarves dying on the job before, without even using burrows
Quite sure, since there was a single stone in the burrow, and I had him deconstruct the mason shop afterwards. Then he just hung out there.