Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: location finder cycles through matches  (Read 1027 times)

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
location finder cycles through matches
« on: July 25, 2008, 02:36:39 pm »

Assuming the find actually finds multiple matches for your search would it be possible to have it cycle though those options (much like when we first had the 3d version before we could embark anywhere).

As it is if i search for a location and it finds one but I don't like the look of it (for whatever reason) I can't tell it to 'search from here' so can't use it from that point.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
Re: location finder cycles through matches
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 03:04:09 pm »

Also, could it possible INDEX the searches in a txt file, or something?  So that subsequent searches don't take so long? D:

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 03:11:37 pm »

Oh yes, please!
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Forumsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 01:30:57 am »

The latest version of DF makes this topic all the more important, as the site finder now takes much, much longer to plow through all those new z-levels.

Right now the site finder looks for every possible matching site then returns the first match.  That's the worst of both worlds.

It would be nice if we could choose either to save a list of sites found OR have the site finder halt on the first qualifying match.  Barring that just making it halt would be very nice.
"Let them eat XXtroutXX!" -Troas

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 01:32:59 am »

I would have said the new version makes the site finder totally unimportant, because everything you care about is at all sites.  I don't even use the site finder any more.  It has too few things it can look for, and any random site is so good as to make it superfluous.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 07:33:10 am »

said stuff

One of which is this topic and none of the other pre-date this one. You generally do good work Footkerchief but please don't do it on autopilot, it doesn't help anyone.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 11:37:37 am »

Oops.  Wasn't expecting a two-year necro... oh well, at least they're all in one place now.  Sorry, thread.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 12:02:51 pm by Footkerchief »

Forumsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 06:19:23 am »

No worries.  This board has a special rule favoring existing topics over new ones; on any other board you would've been right to correct me.
"Let them eat XXtroutXX!" -Troas