Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hermit mode  (Read 553 times)

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hermit mode
« on: July 20, 2007, 05:00:00 pm »

I've heard that eventually adventurers will be able to do all of the tasks that dwarves do... This brings up an interesting idea, what if you could play a hermit game directly controlling your adventurer as the hermit? Maybe an adventure game could become a hermit game by going to a mountainside and selecting a become hermit option similar to the retire as peasant option? Or, maybe it could be seamless, just allowing the player to build and use workshops and farms and the like after he or she digs into the mountain. This would also probably need an option for realtime adventure gameplay rather than turn based, or things like waiting for the plump helmets to grow might involve a lot of holding down the wait key. Just an idea though.

PTTG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.2funnyguys.com
Re: Hermit mode
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 05:18:00 pm »

I'd buy it! Or, well, download it. Anyway. That does sound like fun. On a related note, I was thinking if there would be a way to explore your fortress "live"? Instead of abandoning it, you retire as Fortress Commander and visit as an adventurer, and be able to talk to your dwarves instead of reading their minds. He. If some specific dwarf was unhappy with you when you left, he could trash talk "that old fool of a leader..." Either way, Fun!
A HREF="http://www.2funnyguys.com">www.2funnyguys.com

,".,''.,,''..,'',.'',,.''
.'',G''(Im in ur fotrez)
''.,.,(steln ur babyz:0)

Dreamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 05:51:00 pm »

That would be cool...  Single-handedly making a huge fortress with your dwarven adventurer.  All of his gear is made by him/her personally, and every single engraving is also made by him/her.  The bridges, the traps...

Man, that'd be awesome, only having to worry about one person that you could directly control for a change.  Good fun.

The vile forces of darkness have arrived!

A single figure, gleaming in the dimming light of day, steps out from the finely adorned entrance hallway.  The dwarf is entirely clad in adamantium plate, and a spear of the same metal glimmers brightly, despite the enroaching darkness.  The goblins - Dirty and suddenly insignificant, despite their numbers - slow their charge until they are doing nothing more than staring at the awesome sight before them.

The goblin king steps forward, bravely, his own iron equipment trivial before the sight of the one standing before him.  He grimaces, his ugly face contorting in hatred, and cries for his army to attack.

The dwarf raises one first, halting the goblins before they even begin to move, and suddenly throws something - And the goblin king's head is struck, collapsing into a lump of gore.  The panicing goblins flee without any hesitation, not willing to face the thing before them, the being that can't be anything less than a god.

After the goblins had left, the dwarf walks towards the corpse of the goblin king, removing his helmet and placing it under his arm.  He grimaces down at the stinking cadavar, then suddenly smiles and bends over to reach inside of the collapsed face of the ruler.

"I dunnae why I bother with all this fancy armor," he mumbles to himself quietly, as he withdraws the small, fragile looking monarch butterfuly from the depths of the dripping skull, the small insect sitting calmly on his index finger.  The dwarf smiles at the unharmed creature, holding it eye level. "S'almost a waste of time."

▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲/
◄Nothing Beats Menacing►
/▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼\

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 06:23:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by AlanL:
eventually adventurers will be able to do all of the tasks that dwarves do...
Wizard Towers.

Using Magic while playing is optional.

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Necro

• Bay Watcher
  • ...trunk with her iron battlaxe, bruising the fat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 06:38:00 pm »

That would be cool. Hermit games as it is now is fun, but can be tedious. I had a very good hermit game recently, but my dorf got killed by some ratmen just as I were about to make him a cool room, with a dining room overlooking the magma and all. And I get an .exe error whenever I try to reclaim it. Damn..

Neopergoss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 02:25:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by AlanL:
<STRONG>Or, maybe it could be seamless, just allowing the player to build and use workshops and farms and the like after he or she digs into the mountain. This would also probably need an option for realtime adventure gameplay rather than turn based, or things like waiting for the plump helmets to grow might involve a lot of holding down the wait key. Just an idea though.</STRONG>

Speaking of problems with seamlessness, I'm pretty sure that adventurers get hungry, thirsty, and tired a lot more quickly than dwarves in fortress mode, who seem to eat around once a month, heheh.  But as fortress mode dwarves can move diagonally now and the worlds are more integrated, perhaps it will be seamless before too long.

Besides that, realtime adventure gameplay seems like it would be incredibly hard unless there were some kind of default actions that your character took.  The most pitiful foe would become formidable due to its superior reaction time.

A: brb
B: what does "brb" mean?
A: be right back
B: (aww...why do they always leave whenever I ask them that?)